ⓘ Banksia squarrosa

                                     

ⓘ Banksia squarrosa

Specimens of B. squarrosa were first collected from near King George Sound in 1829 by William Baxter, and published by Robert Brown as Dryandra squarrosa the following year. In 1839, specimens of the same plant from the vicinity of the Swan River were published by John Lindley as D. carduacea. These two names were maintained alongside each other until 1996, when Alex George showed them to refer to the same species, and so delegated D. carduacea to synonymy. Dryandra squarrosa remained the current name until 2007, when all Dryandra species were transferred to Banksia by Austin Mast and Kevin Thiele. The species current name is therefore Banksia squarrosa R.Br. A.R.Mast & K.R.Thiele.