ⓘ Banksia rufa

                                     

ⓘ Banksia rufa

Banksia rufa is a shrub endemic to Western Australia. It was first published by Carl Meissner in 1855, where it was given the name Dryandra ferruginea by Richard Kippist. The following year, Meisner published what was purportedly a distinct species, Dryandra runcinata. In 1870, George Bentham maintained D. runcinata, but demoted D. ferruginea to a variety of Banksia proteoides. This stood until 1996, when Alex George restored the specific rank of D. ferruginea, and declared D. runcinata its synonym.

In 2007, all Dryandra species were transferred to Banksia by Austin mast and Kevin Thiele. As the name "Banksia" ferruginea has already been published on the link to the plant now known as Pimelea ferruginea, mast and Thiele had to choose a new specific epithet, their choice, "rufa", is from the Latin Rufus "red", in reference to the red-brown new growth and the leaves of the wrapper.