ⓘ Spanish Coquina Quarries

                                     

ⓘ Spanish Coquina Quarries

The Spanish Coquina Quarries are an historic site in St. Augustine Beach, Florida. They are located off A1A in Anastasia State Park. On February 23, 1972, they were added to the U.S. National Register of Historic Places.

                                     
  • invertebrates. The term coquina comes from the Spanish word for cockle and shellfish For a sediment to be considered to be a coquina the particles composing
  • upland hammock. It is also home to the Old Spanish Coquina Quarries an archaeological site from which the coquina stone used in the construction of the Castillo
  • August 8, Cendoya opened the coquina quarries on Anastasia Island, where a sedimentary rock, called coquina by the Spanish and composed of the shells of
  • and Quarry Woodbridge, Connecticut, NRHP - listed Spanish Coquina Quarries St. Augustine Beach, Florida, NRHP - listed, source of coquina Burns Quarry near
  • Beginning in 1598, quarried coquina from Anastasia Island contributed to a new colonial style of architecture in this city. Coquina is a limestone conglomerate
  • St. Francis Barracks is a historic structure constructed of coquina stone located on Marine Street in St. Augustine, Florida, named in honor of St. Francis
  • 4, 000 cubic yards of coquina rock, 1, 000 bags of cement mix, 1, 800 feet of imported Spanish roofing tiles and imported Spanish flooring tiles were used
  • St. Augustine Beach, Coquina Gables, Butler Beach, Crescent Beach, and Treasure Beach. Fort Matanzas National Monument, a Spanish colonial - era fort built
  • as the 1930s in construction. There were coquina quarries on Anastasia Island. From these quarries coquina was brought to build the Castillo de San Marcos
  • occupied. Spanish settlers began immediately to establish a Catholic church. The Roman Catholic Church was integral to the Spanish monarchy and to Spain s history
  • abandoned the area. In 1690, Quiroga y Losada began selling coquina from the royal quarry on Anastasia Island to the garrison soldiers and the other townspeople