ⓘ Arsk Field
Arsk Field was east of the walls of mediaeval Kazan. The name may come from the Archa Darugha, a subdivision of the Khanate of Kazan. Alternatively, it could be named for the road leading to the city of Arsk, which passed through the field. In 1552 it served as the base of for Tatar troops during the siege of Kazan by Russian troops under Ivan the Terrible. In 1774, it was a battlefield for engagements between rebels supporting Pugachev and governmental forces.
In the 18th and 19th centuries, the exhibition took place in the field. Since the beginning of the 19th century, the field was built with housing, but also the nearby forest was turned into a Park area, nicknamed the Russian Switzerland and German Switzerland. In Soviet times, both parks were included in the newly created Gorky Park, and the Park bears this name to this day.
After the October revolution of 1917, the field was renamed field Yershov, Nikolay Yershov, who led the uprising of the Bolsheviks in Kazan during the October revolution in 1917. On this day, the street running along the Park named Yershov street in his honor.