ⓘ Feltham Barracks

                                     

ⓘ Feltham Barracks

This land was first acquired by the War Department during the First World War, by 1917 it was serving as an Air Acceptance Park with an aerodrome attached. After the war, in 1922, the Royal Army Service Corps took over the site and buildings to serve as its Mechanical Transport Depot. The following year Feltham House, on the northern edge of the site, was purchased to serve as an officers mess. Believed to have been built in the 1770s for the Villebois family, the house then known as Feltham Place passed through several owners, serving for a time as a boys school before being bought by Cabbage King Alfred Smith in 1897) It is a Grade II listed building with interiors designed or influenced by James Wyatt. It continued in use as an officers mess through the 20th century and was extended in the 1960s, however, as of 2018, it is unoccupied and has been placed on the Heritage at Risk Register By the 1930s barrack blocks were laid out in rows to the south of Feltham House, while large industrial-type sheds to the east and further south were served by a set of tramlines linked to the mainline railway. The easternmost part of the site was and remains in use as playing fields.

By the time the Second world war the site was designated under No. 1 vehicle reserve depot, and continues to serve as the main tool depot CVD and the Central ordnance depot cod Royal army ordnance corps RAOC after the war, taking responsibility for storage of the car from the RASC in 1942. In 1962 part of the site was captured by military intelligence as a means of specializing in the collection and analysis of map data. The closure of GCC Feltham was declared in 1969 and 1970 cod Feltham was renamed as the support group ammunition OSU. In 1970-e years the tram tracks were removed and a large area in the South of the site was sold for redevelopment. OSU Feltham closed in 1996. In the 21st century the site remained in use as protection of the geographical centre of the RSC its primary role formats for planning of defence, operations and training. Organization defense information DRL was also based in Feltham. In 2012, DHA was largely civilian personnel 400, his library included a global collection of more than 700.000 maps, charts and atlases. DRL had 350 employees, drawn from three services. In 2016, Mod Feltham was aimed at the alienation of the mod, with an estimated closing date of 2023.