ⓘ Stalag Luft II
Stalag Luft II was a Luftwaffe -run prisoner of war camp during World War II, in Litzmannstadt, in the occupied territory of Poland.
The camp was in the 21st military district of the OKW, in charge of the Luftwaffe, which had its own small network of camps for captured airmen.
It was operational from 1 February 1941 to 1 September 1944 litzmannstadt district – Erzhausen in the Lodz region called Ruda Pabianicka, in the South-Western part of the city, in the square of the current street: Odrzanska German: Wallensteinerstrasse, South-West, Retmanska German: Paracelsusweg, from the North-West, Lopianowa German: Schwertbruderstrasse from the North-East and Zuchow German: goldene Pforte, from the South-East.
Before the deployment of Soviet prisoners in the camp, he probably briefly detained by French prisoners of war. The daily number of Soviet prisoners amounted to 400 to just over 1000 people.
In March 1942, its commander was Hauptmann Maldbenden and the chief guard of the Fuhrer V. Dienst Kirsten KOs.
Conditions in the camp, in comparison with the fate of other Russian prisoners, for example in KL or KL Auschwitz, Mauthausen, the Gusen concentration camps, was moderately severe. The mortality rate was massive.
The bodies were initially buried near the camp, probably in the woods behind the North fence, then In the Dale cemetery in Lodz and the Orthodox cemetery on the "Dolach", Telefoniczna street. These tombs were never marked and it is not known what part of the cemetery they are still standing. Also no news about the arrival of St. Alexander Nevsky in łódź, who his administrator. The efforts of the former by the end of 2016 the provincial Committee for the conservation of places of fighting and martyrdom in Lodz aimed at a stones throw of the cemetery from the Board at the beginning of the 21st century came to naught for various reasons.
Some of the prisoners worked in textile or leather factories in Lodz including "gentleman" factory at the intersection of the current B. Limanowskiego streets and Alley Wlokniarzy, usually referred to as "elastic". They also worked on the construction of the station congestion in Olechow. In the workplace, outside the station in Olechow, where it was impossible helped by the poles, giving food and cigarettes. Probably some of them also worked on the construction of underground hospital 525 m2, with a capacity of 1.600 m3 for the nearby airport "Lublinek" on the corner of ul And ul Pabianicka. Evangelical-West corner and on the nearby military airport "Lublinek".
Formally, Stalag Luft II was liquidated on 1 September 1944, when most of the prisoners were deported to Stalagu Luft III in Zagan. In Lodz, there was only a group of patients and is unable to work, most of them survived until liberation on January 19, 1945.
8 Oct 1944 in Stalag barracks a group of militants from Warsaw was temporarily placed, which are then taken away to Stalag IV-B Zeithain in Zeithain.
After the German occupation in łódź on 19 January 1945, around March-April 1945, the barracks left after the Stalag was established, which functioned until 1948 the camp for German prisoners of war.
The camp is visible on German aerial photographs taken in Lodz in may 1942.