ⓘ BMW 3 Series (G20)
The seventh generation of the BMW 3 Series consists of the BMW G20 and BMW G21 compact executive cars. The G20/G21 has been in production since 2019 and is often collectively referred to as the G20.
The G20 was unveiled at the 2018 Paris Motor Show on October 2, 2018, and released in March 2019.
The M340i, one of the first models in the range became available for sale in the spring of 2019, with the 330e hybrid model scheduled for launch in 2020. The 3 Series Gran Turismo fastback body style was discontinued for the G20 generation.
1. Development and launch
The G20 3 Series is based on the Cluster Architecture CLAR platform and features increased use of high-strength steel and aluminium. The G20 has a MacPherson strut front suspension and multi-link rear suspension, with a hydraulic damping system to better absorb impacts.
The G20 has a flat and covered underbody, resulting in a reduced drag coefficient from 0.26 C d to 0.23 C d for the 320d. Compared to its predecessor, the G20 is 55 kg 121 lb lighter, 85 mm 3.3 in longer, and 16 mm 0.6 in wider. The car retains a 50:50 weight distribution and has a 50% increase in body rigidity. Boot capacity is identical to the F30, at 480 litres 17 cu ft.
The windshield uses double-glazed acoustic glass and the A-pillars have increased insulation. The handbrake is now electronically operated and no longer uses a manual lever. Engine coasting is also now available in both Eco Pro and Comfort modes, and both petrol and diesel models receive engine particulate filters.
In November 2015, a final design proposal out of 3 total, was chosen by BMW management, as reported by Auto Bild in October 2015.
The 320d and M340i are available in both rear-wheel drive and all-wheel xDrive variants.
The Touring variant G21 was launched on 12 June 2019.
The G20 is available in Advantage, Sport Line, Luxury Line, or M Sport package.
Standard equipment includes full LED headlights and tail-lights, automatic climate control, automatic headlights and rain-sensing wipers, 40:20:40 split folding rear seats, and driver assistance systems including lane departure warning and collision warning with braking intervention.
All models feature iDrive 6.0 with an 8.8-inch display. The system can be upgraded to Operating System 7.0 with a 10.25-inch display and 12.3-inch digital instrument cluster. iDrive 7.0 has over-the-air updates for the navigational maps and operating system, and features a voice-controlled digital assistant that can be activated by saying "Hey BMW". The assistant can control in-car functions and is integrated with Microsoft Office 365 and Skype for Business. The engine start stop system uses the navigation system to prevent unnecessary engine shutdowns.
Optional equipment includes the BMW LaserLight, a BMW display key, self-righting wheel center caps, and a Welcome Light Carpet. A Digital Key system enables a smartphone to lock or unlock the vehicle using near-field communication, and will start the engine when placed in the wireless charging tray. The optional parking assistant system displays a three-dimensional 360 degree view of the car and its surroundings, which can also be remotely viewed in the BMW ConnectedDrive app.
Only 318d and 320d models are available with a 6-speed manual transmission.
BMW has controversially implemented a yearly fee for access to Apple CarPlay, a feature built into the car, and for which BMW pays no yearly fee or other ongoing expense. As of December 2019 it is reported that this fee will no longer be charged as BMW has backtracked on this decision.
In March 2019 at the Geneva Motor Show the 330e iPerformance model was introduced, using the motor from the 320i and a 50 kW 67 hp electric motor, it has a maximum electric range of 60 km 37 mi. It has a 12 kWh battery along with a newly developed system called "XtraBoost" allowing a temporary power increase from the electric motor of up to 30 kW 40 hp.
3. M3 model
The M3 model is due to be released in 2020. All-wheel xDrive will be optional on the G80 M3, marking the first time that an M3 has not exclusively used a rear-wheel drive layout. A manual transmission will only be available on rear-wheel drive models.
The M3 will be powered by the 3.0 L 183 cu in BMW S58 straight-six engine that debuted in the G01 X3 M.
- 2018 Car Magazine "Best Buys" in the premium midsize category
- 2018 Auto Zeitung "Worlds Best Car" in the midsize category
- 2019 What Car? "Best Executive Car" award
- 2018 Auto Bild Allrad "AWD Car of the Year up to €40.000" award
- 2019 Car Sales "Car of the Year" award
- The BMW 3 Series is a compact executive car manufactured by the German automaker BMW since May 1975. It is the successor to the 02 Series and has been
- M 3 model designated F80 was introduced in 2014 and is powered by the S55 twin - turbocharged straight - six engine. In March 2019, the BMW 3 Series G20
- the G20 3 Series First Look: BMW 4 Series Coupe Concept www.automobilemag.com. Retrieved 7 December 2012. BMW Concept 4 Series Coupe www. bmw com
- fifth generation of the BMW 3 Series consists of the BMW E90 sedan BMW E91 wagon, marketed as Touring BMW E92 coupe and BMW E93 convertible compact
- The BMW 5 Series is an executive car manufactured by BMW since 1972. It is the successor to the New Class Sedans and is currently in its seventh generation
- The BMW 7 Series is a full - size luxury sedan produced by the German automaker BMW since 1977. It is the successor to the BMW E 3 New Six sedan and is
- second generation of the BMW 8 Series consists of the BMW G 14 convertible version BMW G 15 two - door coupe version and BMW G 16 four - door Gran Coupe
- The BMW 8 Series is a range of grand tourers produced by BMW The 8 Series was introduced in 1990 under the E31 model code and was only available as a
- The G 32 BMW 6 Series is the second generation of the BMW Gran Turismo range of fastback mid - size luxury cars, and was launched in 2017 as the successor