ⓘ Winchester House, Chelsea

                                     

ⓘ Winchester House, Chelsea

Winchester House, demolished, housed the Bishops of Winchester from 1664 to the early 19th century when in London. Their diocese for this purpose had bought the 17th-century part of Chelsea Place from Charles Cheyne in 1664. It replaced in function the shell remnants of Winchester Palace on the South Bank, Southwark left by the Wars of the Three Kingdoms. In 1821, after the house fell into disrepair, the bishop gained an Act that allowed the sale of the house and its ground of 2.5 acres to the trustees of the Cadogan Estate. In 1825, the trustees obtained a further Act to demolish the property and build new houses on the site. Demolition was complete by 1836, but the site was still vacant in 1847. By 1850, there were ten houses at the northern end, and four at the southern by 1851. The area is now known as Oakley Street.

                                     
  • as Winchester House Winchester House Chelsea a later former residence of the Bishops of Winchester in London Winchester House Putney, 18th century
  • Chelsea Manor House was once the demesne of the main manor of the medieval parish now roughly commensurate with the district of Chelsea London It was
  • at Winchester Cathedral on 25 June 1781 and continued as Bishop of Winchester until his death, following a long illness, at Winchester House Chelsea on
  • the former Winchester House the one - time residence of the Bishops of Winchester in London who had bought the 17th - century part of Chelsea Place from
  • residence for its Mayor. Abbey House was built in about 1700 and sited in the Abbey Gardens just off The Broadway in Winchester It was acquired by the City
  • Hants, Chelsea Mdx. and London. A biography William Paulet, Marquess of Winchester Family tree William Paulet, 1st Marquess of Winchester at Find a
  • of London. He succeeded his father as Marquess of Winchester in 1572. John Paulet died at Chelsea on 4 November 1576 and was buried in St. Mary s Church
  • Shuckburgh Arms is a Grade II listed public house on the corner of Denyer Street and Milner Street, Chelsea London. It was built in the mid - 19th century
  • The World s End is a Grade II listed public house and restaurant at 459 King s Road, Chelsea London. It gives its name to the surrounding area at the