Retinopathy is any damage to the retina of the eyes, which may cause vision impairment. Retinopathy often refers to retinal vascular disease, or damage to the retina caused by abnormal blood flow. Age-related macular degeneration is technically included under the umbrella term retinopathy but is often discussed as a separate entity. Retinopathy, or retinal vascular disease, can be broadly categorized into proliferative and non-proliferative types. Frequently, retinopathy is an ocular manifestation of systemic disease as seen in diabetes or hypertension. Diabetes is the most common cause of retinopathy in the U.S. as of 2008. Diabetic retinopathy is the leading cause of blindness in working-aged people. It accounts for about 5% of blindness worldwide and is designated a priority eye disease by the World Health Organization.
- Diabetic retinopathy also known as diabetic eye disease, is a medical condition in which damage occurs to the retina due to diabetes mellitus. It is
- lasers or arc welders. The term includes solar s retinopathy laser s retinopathy and welder s retinopathy and is synonymous with retinal phototoxicity.
- Autoimmune retinopathy AIR is a rare disease in which the patient s immune system attacks proteins in the retina, leading to loss of eyesight. The disease
- Purtscher s retinopathy is a disease where part of the eye retina is damaged. Usually associated with severe head injuries, it may also occur with other
- Hypertensive retinopathy is damage to the retina and retinal circulation due to high blood pressure i.e. hypertension Most patients with hypertensive
- Retinopathy of prematurity ROP also called retrolental fibroplasia RLF and Terry syndrome, is a disease of the eye affecting prematurely born babies
- Radiation retinopathy is damage to retina due to exposure to ionizing radiation. Radiation retinopathy has a delayed onset, typically after months or years
- Central serous retinopathy CSR also known as central serous chorioretinopathy CSC or CSCR is an eye disease that causes visual impairment, often
- Chloroquine retinopathy is a form of toxic retinopathy damage of the retina caused by the drugs chloroquine or hydroxychloroquine, which are sometimes
- Acute zonal occult outer retinopathy AZOOR is an inflammatory retinopathy in the category of white dot syndromes typified by acute loss of one or more