ⓘ History of Maputo

                                     

ⓘ History of Maputo

The history of Maputo, the capital of Mozambique, traces its origins back over 500 years, when a fishing village developed by Maputo Bay on the site where the modern city of Maputo now stands. The first Europeans to discover the bay were Portuguese navigators led by Antonio de Campo in 1502. In 1544, the Portuguese merchant and explorer Lourenço Marques reached the bay and named it Delagoa Bay. The Portuguese established a fort on the site, but were soon forced to abandon it. In 1720, the Dutch East India Company established Fort Lydsaamheid on the bay, but abandoned it due to conflicts with local Africans and the unhealthy environment. In the mid-18th century, the Portuguese returned to the bay, selling ivory to British ships carrying Indian textiles. In 1773, William Bolts of the Trieste Company reached the bay and claimed it for the Holy Roman Empire. Bolts and the Austrians were forced out in 1781 by Portuguese ships sent from Goa.

In that year, hoping to prevent other European powers to occupy the area in the future, the Portuguese built a fortress on the shore of the Gulf, calling it Lourenco Marques. In the late 18th and early 19th century, the Fort was mainly used by French, British and American whaling ships to stop the provisions. The town grew around the fortress, Dating from about 1850, and in 1877, he was elevated to the status of a city. In 1898, the colony of Portugal, Mozambique moved their capital. In the late 19th and early 20th centuries, Lorenzo Marquez grew both in population and economic development as a port city. After the independence of Mozambique in 1975, the city became the capital and was renamed Maputo. During the Civil war of Mozambique, the economy of the town was destroyed. When the war ended, the FRELIMO government has launched a program for the improvement of the economy of the city, and to clean up the city forced the removal of criminals, vagrants, and undocumented residents. Since then, Maputos of Economics, centred around the port, recovered and stability returned.