ⓘ RAF Gailes

                                     

ⓘ RAF Gailes

RAF Gailes was built on the site of the earlier RAF Fullarton The buildings from the old GCI station were cleared by December 1950.

The station was short-lived, becomes redundant when the RAF Killard point, Northern Ireland, began operations in September 1956. Block signals in Gailes was disbanded and the station placed on care and maintenance.

In 1962 the station was captured by civilian personnel of the air traffic control at the airport of Prestwick.

Gailes was finally closed in 1978, and the building was demolished when the staff of the radar station moved to Atlantic house in Prestwick.

                                     
  • when the site was selected for the ROTOR programme, as RAF Gailes RAF Fullarton and RAF Gailes Subterranea Britannica. Retrieved 22 August 2009.
  • This list of former RAF stations includes most of the stations, airfields and administrative headquarters previously used by the Royal Air Force. The
  • map, showing the following radio standby to line links: Kirk o Shotts to Gailes GCI radar station near Ayr Muggleswick to Boulmer GCI station, ROC and regional
  • units and other formations destined for the beach groups were trained at Gailes Camp near Irvine, North Ayrshire. Units formed in the Mediterranean trained
  • is the home of an RAF TPS 77 RRH remote radar head RAF Boulmer is a working RAF building, which is housed in an ex - ROTOR R3 RAF Boulmer EZS GCI