ⓘ Anglezarke Reservoir

                                     

ⓘ Anglezarke Reservoir

Anglezarke Reservoir is the largest reservoir in the Rivington chain to the west of Anglezarke in Lancashire, England. Anglezarke Reservoir has three embankments: the Charnock Embankment, the longest, is 850 yards long and 31 feet high, the Knowsley Embankment is 240 yards long and 45 feet high and the Heapey Embankment is 280 feet long and 32 feet high. It is fed by the River Yarrow, which has been diverted from its original course which is now covered by the Knowsley Embankment. It served the city of Liverpool before its current status as a supply mainly for Wigan. The original `Rivington Pike Scheme was undertaken by Thomas Hawksley between 1850 and 1857 for the Liverpool Corporation Waterworks. The scheme was to construct five reservoirs and a water treatment works at the south end of Lower Rivington with a 17-mile pipeline to storage reservoirs at Prescot. Water from two higher level reservoirs, Rake Brook and Lower Roddlesworth, was carried south in `The Goit, a channel connecting them to the reservoirs.

In November 1997, the reservoir was refilled after the summer of 1997 the heat. The water flow was so great that the pond requires emergency drawdown. With the water level at a temporary low, had the opportunity to inspect the Heapey embankment on the swamp road that had a leak since 1960-ies. The condition of the mound and the surrounding rocks were such that a phased grouting operation required to correct the leak. The tank was refilled, but was still leaking. After the Second grout and refill operation, the embankment was found tight.

It appears that the root cause of the leak was an 18-inch cast iron distribution pipe which supplied White Brook to the North of the embankment. The trench for the pipe was cut much deeper than a glacial meltwater channel. However, to close the pipe in the 1970-ies failed to correct the situation.

Watermans cottage was built by Liverpool Corporation on the West Bank of the reservoir. Cottage Tudor-style structure also known as Heapey cottage. He was busy Denis and Anna Oakden in the 1940-ies. Denis worked for the water authority and moved to the property after several years in porch cottages, White coppice.

To the East of the reservoir is the small high Bullough reservoir and the Anglezarke Moors, upper Rivington reservoir to the South and soon the Neb in the North-West. Now a wildlife refuge, forest trails, which links to high Bullough reservoir.

                                     
  • Moors in Lancashire, England, between Rivington and Anglezarke The engineer for the Rivington reservoirs was Thomas Hawksley and construction for Liverpool
  • Yarrow Reservoir - named after the River Yarrow - is a reservoir in the Rivington chain in Anglezarke Lancashire, England, and has a storage capacity
  • Anglezarke is a sparsely populated civil parish in the Borough of Chorley in Lancashire, England. It is dominated by reservoirs that were built to supply
  • the reservoir was fed into Anglezarke reservoir by a 3.75 - mile 6.04 km channel called The Goit. Construction of the reservoir was authorised by an Act
  • the reservoirs at Lower Rivington, Upper Rivington and Anglezarke held water for the public water supply. Water from the two compensation reservoirs was
  • small coal mines. The hamlet lies to the north of Anglezarke Reservoir in the Rivington reservoir chain built to provide water for Liverpool in the mid
  • weak water course commences at Eagle Tower. The jointed brook feeds Anglezarke Reservoir and joins the River Yarrow in lowland Chorley at Yarrow Bridge.
  • it forms part of the Anglezarke trail, although it is also accessible from Manor House. It was originally named Chorley Reservoir There are a number of
  • between the M61 and the West Pennine Moors. To the south east is Anglezarke Reservoir and to the north east White Coppice. The name Healey Nab is derived
  • feeds the Yarrow Reservoir which in turn feeds the Anglezarke and Upper and Lower Rivington Reservoirs Upon leaving the reservoirs via a pumping station