ⓘ History of Trieste
The history of Trieste began with the formation of a town of modest size in pre-Roman times, which acquired proper urban connotations only after the conquest and colonisation by Rome. After the imperial era the city declined following barbarian invasions, becoming only marginally important in the next millennium. It changed lordships several times and then became a free city, which joined the House of Habsburg in 1382. Between the 18th and 19th centuries Trieste experienced a new period of prosperity thanks to the free port and the development of a thriving shipping business that made it one of the most important cities of the Austrian Empire.
A cosmopolitan city that during the period of the Habsburgs remained in Italian and became the leading Italian and European cultural center, was included in the Kingdom of Italy in 1918 after the First world war. After the Second world war it was the capital of the free territory of Trieste, staying for nine years under the military administration of the allies. After the London Memorandum in 1954, Trieste was ceded to Italy. Since 1963 it was the capital of Friuli-Venezia Giulia.
- timeline of the history of the city of Trieste in the Friuli - Venezia Giulia region of Italy. 79 CE Via Flavia Dalmatia Tergeste built. 1320 Trieste Cathedral
- The history of the Jews in Trieste Italy goes back over 800 years. The oldest official document available mentioning a Jewish settlement in Trieste goes
- The Trieste Commodity Exchange Italian: Borsa merci di Trieste was founded in 1755 by Empress Maria Theresa. It is one of the oldest commodity exchanges
- Pallacanestro Trieste 2004, known for sponsorship reasons as Allianz Pallacanestro Trieste is an Italian professional basketball club based in Trieste They
- south. Trieste is located at the head of the Gulf of Trieste and throughout history it has been influenced by its location at the crossroads of Latin
- Trieste is a Swiss - designed, Italian - built deep - diving research bathyscaphe which reached a record depth of about 10, 911 metres 35, 797 ft in the Challenger
- The University of Trieste Italian: Università degli Studi di Trieste or UniTS is a public research university in Trieste in the Friuli - Venezia Giulia
- The following is a list of governors of the Province of Trieste from 1918 to 1954. It includes Italian military governor, general civil commissioners
- The Province of Trieste Italian: Provincia di Trieste Slovene: Trzaska pokrajina Friulian: provinzia di Triest was a province in the autonomous Friuli - Venezia
- Communist Party of the Free Territory of Trieste Italian: Partito Comunista del Territorio Libero di Trieste PCTLT Slovene: Komunisticna partija Svobodnega