ⓘ Melingriffith Water Pump

                                     

ⓘ Melingriffith Water Pump

Melingriffith Water Pump is a water-driven water pump that was built by Watkin George, of Cyfartha, around 1793 to return precious water from the Melingriffith Tin Plate Works to the Glamorganshire Canal. The water pump is a scheduled monument and has been restored twice since it ceased operation in the 1940s. For many years it was believed to be designed by the canal engineer John Rennie.

                                     
  • Subsequent to the closure of tin plate works in 1957, the 200 - year - old Melingriffith water pump was named a scheduled monument. It is one of the earliest and most
  • point where the Melingriffith water pump stands, the pump originally designed to pump water from the feeder into the Canal at Melingriffith Lock. Today
  • aqueduct Gwynne water aqueduct 1793 - 96 - a timber trestle structure 185m long, part of which ran over Pont - y - Cafnau Melingriffith water pump 1793 - 1795
  • yet identified. GGAT PRN not yet identified. Cadw SAM: GM312: Melingriffith Water Pump coflein NPRN: not yet identified. GGAT PRN not yet identified.
  • severe water shortages, resulting in goods not arriving in Cardiff on time. To solve this problem, a water pump was introduced in Melingriffith with the
  • and the Melingriffith Tin Plate Works, and who wanted surplus water to be returned to the river, but he was ultimately ignored, and the water supplied