ⓘ W (TV series)
W is a 2016 South Korean television series, starring Lee Jong-suk and Han Hyo-joo. Consisting of 16 episodes, it aired on Wednesdays and Thursdays at 22:00 on MBC from July 20 to September 14, 2016. W centers on the clash between "two worlds": the real world and an alternate universe inside a webtoon, from which the title of the television series was taken.
The series received praise for its unique premise and ranked first in Content Power Index in its premiere week. It achieved modest ratings of 11.63%, topping viewership ratings in its time slot for its entire run.
The series focuses on the eponymous fictional webtoon entitled W, written and illustrated by its legendary author and illustrator Oh Seong-moo Kim Eui-sung. W became so famous in South Korea that even its printed versions became a best-seller there.
The storyline of the webtoon W starts with the younger years of its main character Kang Chul Lee Jong-suk, a handsome and intelligent boy who is also skilled in shooting. He becomes famous in South Korea as he won a shooting competition during the 2004 Athens Olympics. But this fame is interrupted when the unknown Murderer massacres his family, and he is erroneously accused of the crime. Another villain, Han Cheol-ho Park Won-sang, handles the case to gain political popularity, urging the court to impose death penalty upon Kang Chul. Despite his efforts, Kang Chul is deemed innocent of the crime. Depressed over losing his family, he attempts to commit suicide over the Han River but stops himself and chooses to search for the real killer instead and devote his life to crime-fighting.
Ten years later, Kang Chul becomes a multimillionaire. He starts "Project W" in an efforts to catch the real culprit behind his familys death; part of the project his television broadcasting company dubbed "W," after the initials of the interrogatives "who" and "why" hence, the title of the webtoon. One night, he receives a suspicious phone call and gets severely injured by the same mysterious Murderer at the rooftop of his penthouse.
2.1. Cast Main
- Lee Jong-suk as Kang Chul
- Park Min-ha as child Yeon-joo
- Han Hyo-joo as Oh Yeon-joo
- Hyun Seung-min as teenage Yeon-joo
2.2. Cast Characters from the webtoon W
- Kim Eui-sung as Han Sang-hoon
- Jung Yoo-jin as Yoon So-hee
- Lee Tae-hwan as Seo Do-yoon
- Park Won-sang as Han Cheol-ho
- Cha Kwang-soo as Son Hyun-seok
2.3. Cast People around Oh Yeon-joo
- Kim Eui-sung as Oh Seong-moo
- Lee Si-eon as Park Soo-bong
- Nam Gi-ae as Gil Soo-sun
- Heo Jung-do as Park Min-soo
- Kang Ki-young as Kang Suk-beom
- Lee Se-rang as Gil Soo-young
- Ryu Hye-rin as Sun-mi
- Yang Hye-ji as Yoon-hee
2.4. Cast Special appearances
- Seo Shin-ae as Kang Soo-yeon – Chuls sister episode 1
- Park Choong-seon as Kang Yoon – Chuls father
- Ahn Se-ha as Kim Poong-ho – Yeon-joos blind date episode 6
- Heo Il-hoo
- Hwang Seok-jeong as Webtoon Writer episode 6
- Kim Na-woon as Yoon Mi-ho – Chuls mother episode 1
- Kim Jung-geun as Anchorman episodes 1, 4
- Choi Min-young as Kang Joon-seok – Chuls brother episode 1
The series is helmed by director Jung Dae-yoon, who directed She Was Pretty and writer Song Jae-jung whose previous works include Nine: Nine Time Travels and Queen In-hyuns Man.
The first script reading of the drama was held in May 2016.
The drama is Han Hyo-joos small screen comeback after six years.
In the table below, the blue numbers represent the lowest ratings and the red numbers represent the highest ratings.
*Episode 8 was not aired on Thursday August 11 due to broadcast of the 2016 Summer Olympics in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. This episode was aired on Wednesday August 17, 2016.