ⓘ Hamilton Barracks

                                     

ⓘ Hamilton Barracks

The barracks, which were originally designed for use by cavalry, were built between 1794 and 1795. The cavalry moved out to Maryhill Barracks in Glasgow in 1877 and the barracks were converted for infantry use. The conversion took place as part of the Cardwell Reforms which encouraged the localisation of British military forces.

The barracks became a warehouse for the 26th Cameronian regiment of foot and the 74th highland regiment of foot. Under the Childers reforms, the 26th Cameronian regiment of foot merged with the 90th regiment of volunteers of foot Perthshire in the form of the Cameronians Scottish rifles depot in the barracks in 1881.

The barracks also became the depot for the 73rd Perthshire regiment of foot and the 90th regiment of Perthshire volunteers feet. Under the Childers reforms, the 71st highland regiment of foot merged with the 74th highland regiment of foot to form the highland light infantry with their depot, at the barracks in 1881.

Many volunteers signed up in the barracks at the beginning of the First world war. Barack fell into a state of disrepair and the highland light infantry moved depot Maryhill barracks in March 1921. Cameron highlands, which was scheduled to leave at the end of the 1930-ies, saw action during the Second world war and then re-located to Winston barracks in 1947. The barracks were demolished in the 1960s and the site was occupied by the bell the College in 1972: bell College became the Hamilton campus of the University of the West of Scotland in 2007. Low parks Museum, which includes the regimental Museum of the Cameron highlands, located just a few hundred yards to the East of the former barracks.

                                     
  • a long barracks building used by the U.S. Infantry. The Secretary of War s report on fortifications for December 1811 describes Fort Hamilton as a regular
  • temporarily based at the barracks These regiments moved out to Hamilton Barracks in Hamilton a few years later and the infantry barracks were disused and empty
  • The Glenanne barracks bombing was a large truck bomb attack carried out by the Provisional IRA against a British Army Ulster Defence Regiment base at
  • Lucknow Barracks and Mooltan Barracks were completed in 1905, Tidworth Military Hospital was finished in 1907. Aliwal Barracks Assaye Barracks Bhurtpore
  • The Victoria Barracks Chinese: 域多利兵房 were a barracks in the Admiralty area of Central on Hong Kong Island, Hong Kong. The barracks were constructed
  • admired by Queen Victoria, and was written about by Daniel Defoe. Hamilton Barracks was formerly the Depot of the Cameronians Scottish Rifles and the
  • Winston Barracks was built between 1939 and 1941 to accommodate the Depot of the Cameronians Scottish Rifles whose previous depot at Hamilton Barracks was
  • The Hyde Park Barracks Sydney is a heritage - listed former barracks hospital, convict accommodation, mint and courthouse and now museum and cafe located
  • Jacobite movement William Hamilton British Army officer 1891 1917 poet and soldier from Victoria Barracks Windsor William Hamilton Australian politician
  • The Old Stone Barracks is the last remaining structure of a proposed quadrangle of early U.S. Army barracks built at Plattsburgh, New York in 1838. Of
  • The Deal barracks bombing was an attack by the Provisional Irish Republican Army IRA on the Royal Marine Depot, Deal, England. It took place at 8: 22