ⓘ Castlehill Barracks

                                     

ⓘ Castlehill Barracks

The barracks, which were built on the site of a 12th-century castle, were completed in response to a perceived threat from France between 1764 and 1796. In 1873 a system of recruiting areas based on counties was instituted under the Cardwell Reforms and the barracks became the depot for the 92nd Gordon Highlanders Regiment of Foot and the 93rd Sutherland Highlanders Regiment of Foot. Following the Childers Reforms, the 75th Stirlingshire Regiment of Foot amalgamated with the 92nd Gordon Highlanders Regiment of Foot to form the Gordon Highlanders with its depot in the barracks in 1881. A major extension in the form of a large new block was built to accommodate the new depot between 1880 and 1881.

The barracks fell into a state of disrepair in the early 20th century. They were withdrawn from military use in 1935, when Gordon highlanders Gordon moved to the barracks on the bridge over the don and has been used as emergency housing in the 1940s and 1950s years. The barracks was eventually demolished in 1965 to make room for the Marischal court and Virginia court apartments.

                                     
  • Gordon Highlanders, who had relocated from Castlehill Barracks as soon as they opened in 1935. The barracks became the regional centre for infantry training
  • Golden Square in the 1950s. To the east of Castle Street were the Castlehill Barracks which were demolished in 1965 and replaced with two tower blocks
  • Albany s Ross - shire Buffs Castlehill Barracks Aberdeen Gordon Highlanders Cameron Barracks Inverness Queen s Own Cameron Highlanders Victoria Barracks Belfast Royal
  • Highlanders Regiment of Foot, and assigned to district no. 56 at Castlehill Barracks in Aberdeen. On 1 July 1881 the Childers Reforms came into effect
  • Highlanders Regiment of Foot, and assigned to district no. 56 at Castlehill Barracks in Aberdeen. On 1 July 1881 the Childers Reforms came into effect
  • Sinn Fein activists - who were all brothers from the Hegarty family of Castlehill Crossmolina - were arrested and escorted to Castlebar under a heavy military
  • active command was delegated to Major Cuthbert, brother of the laird of Castlehill and a regular in the French Royal - Ecossais, who did all the business
  • as a large burgh and its boundaries were expanded to include Alloway, Castlehill Doonfoot and Whitletts. In the 1930s, council estates were also developed
  • infantry Part of Scottish Division Garrison HQ Castlehill Barracks Aberdeen 1881 1935 Gordon Barracks Bridge of Don 1935 94 Motto s Bydand March