ⓘ Corporate Town of Port Augusta West

                                     

ⓘ Corporate Town of Port Augusta West

The Corporate Town of Port Augusta West was a local government area in South Australia centred on the suburb of Port Augusta West. It was gazetted on 6 October 1887. They met in council chambers in Loudon Road, which ceased to be used by its successor council upon its amalgamation, but remained in use by the community until their demolition in the 1940s, at which time the building was described as "definitely unsafe". It was not uncommon for positions to be elected unopposed or without any nominations at all, in the election of November 1903, no one nominated for either mayor or councillor.

In 1923, the Council controlled area of 2.100 hectares 8.5 km 2, with a capital value of £59.710. It had a population of 384, according to the census of 1921, living in 90 houses. On April 28, 1932, along with the corporate Davenport and part of the district Council of Woolundunga, it is combined with the existing corporate town of Port Augusta, the predecessor of the present city of Port Augusta. The second-last mayor, James Beerworth, will go in as the first mayor of the United Council, and subsequently to serve in both houses of the Parliament of South Australia.

                                     
  • including the Corporate Town of Davenport 25 August 1887 the Corporate Town of Port Augusta West 6 October 1887 and the District Council of Davenport
  • The Corporate Town of Port Augusta West was gazetted on 6 October 1887, and only merged into the Corporate Town of Port Augusta on 28 April 1932. Port Augusta
  • suburb of Port Augusta On 28 April 1932 it merged into the existing Corporate Town of Port Augusta along with the Corporate Town of Port Augusta West and
  • part of Woolundunga, along with the Corporate Town of Davenport and the Corporate Town of Port Augusta West merged into the existing Corporate Town of Port
  • bought the Pastoral Hotel in Port Augusta in 1925. He was elected unopposed to the Corporate Town of Port Augusta West council in 1926 for the Ebenezer
  • Darling and Appila. It replaced an abortive earlier municipality, the Corporate Town of Port Germein, which had been established on 15 September 1887 when residents
  • December 1855 when the Corporate Town of Port Adelaide was proclaimed as a new municipality centred on the township of the port of Adelaide, which had been
  • formed in the county was the Corporate Town of Port Augusta established at Port Augusta in 1875. The adjacent Corporate Town of Davenport was established
  • Semaphore Town Hall the building survives today as the heritage - listed Semaphore Library. It amalgamated with the Corporate Town of Port Adelaide on
  • on 28 September 1876 as the Corporate Town of Port Pirie, nearly four years after the town was surveyed. It consisted of two wards North and South at