Metra is a commuter rail system in the Chicago metropolitan area. The system operates 242 stations on 11 different rail lines. It is the fourth busiest commuter rail system in the United States by ridership and the largest and busiest commuter rail system outside the New York City metropolitan area. There were 83.4 million passenger rides in 2014, up 1.3% from the previous year. The estimated busiest day for Metra ridership occurred on November 4, 2016 - the day of the Chicago Cubs 2016 World Series victory rally.
Through Chicagos rail infrastructure, most of which dates back to the 1850-ies, the Illinois General Assembly created the regional Transportation Parental control RTS to consolidate all public transit operations in the Chicago area, including commuter rail. The creation of RTAS was due to the alleged refusal of commuter service operated and owned various private railway companies in the 1970-ies. In 1984 RTS formed a Department for commuter rail to focus on railway operations, which branded itself as meters in 1985. Freight rail companies still operate four Metras routes in the agreement contract. Meter owns all rolling stock and is responsible for all areas together with the municipalities concerned. Since its establishment, the meter was sent to the commuter rail system of the Chicago Metropolitan area more than $ 5 billion.
- The Metra Electric District is an electrified commuter rail line owned and operated by Metra which connects Millennium Station formerly Randolph Street
- average 64, 600 of the 11 Metra lines. While Metra does not refer to its lines by particular colors, the BNSF line s color on Metra timetables is Cascade
- station is a Metra commuter rail station in Harvard, Illinois. It is the terminus of the Union Pacific Northwest Line. It was the only Metra station located
- Prairie Crossing is a Metra station located in Libertyville, Illinois. It is serviced by the North Central Service and the Milwaukee District North
- Cheltenham 79th Street is a station on the Hyde Park South Chicago branch of the Metra Electric Line. The station is located along the median of Exchange Avenue
- Rosemont is a station on Metra s North Central Service in Rosemont, Illinois. The station is 18.6 miles 29.9 km away from Union Station, the southern
- Cicero is a station on Metra s BNSF Railway Line, located in Cicero, Illinois. The station is 7 miles 11 km away from Union Station, the eastern terminus
- Shore Metra Electric Commuter Rail History and Description Archived 2011 - 05 - 14 at the Wayback Machine Metra Railfan Tips - Metra Electric Metra Stations
- Wrightwood is a station on Metra s SouthWest Service in Wrightwood neighborhood in Chicago, Illinois. The station is 11.5 miles 18.5 km away from Union
- Romeoville is a station on Metra s Heritage Corridor at the intersection of 135th Street and New Avenue in Romeoville, Illinois. Romeoville village trustees
- Cumberland station is one of two commuter railroad stations on Metra s Union Pacific Northwest line in the City of Des Plaines, Illinois. It is officially
- Belmont is the westernmost of the three railway stations on the Chicago Metra s BNSF Railway Line that are located in Downers Grove, Illinois. The station