ⓘ Higher Barracks, Exeter

                                     

ⓘ Higher Barracks, Exeter

The barracks were built as part of the British response to the threat of the French Revolution and were completed in 1794. During the First World War the barracks served as a military hospital and during the Second World War they became the base for the United States 500th Medical Collecting Company preparing for the Normandy landings. From April 1980 until February 1988, the Barracks was used by Exeter University Officer Training Corps, which was initially attached to 1st Battalion, The Wessex Regiment. Exeter UOTC moved to Wyvern Barracks in February 1988. The Royal Army Pay Corps moved into the barracks in 1987. The Corps remained there until they were amalgamated with our units to form the Adjutant Generals Corps and the barracks closed in 1997. The site was redeveloped for housing by Barratt Developments in 1998.

                                     
  • List for England. Retrieved 18 April 2014. The Higher Barracks or Cavalry Barracks - Howell Road Exeter memories. Archived from the original on 21 December
  • the students of the University of Exeter Initially based at Higher Barracks Exeter the UOTC moved to Wyvern Barracks in February 1988, when Major - General
  • the 2nd Augustan Legion at Exeter which they called Isca This banked and palisaded fortress contained mostly barracks and workshops, but also a magnificent
  • Rgt, AAC Lynx AH.7, Gazelle AH.1 43rd Wessex Brigade, Wyvern Barracks Exeter guards channel ports 1st Btn, Royal Regiment of Wales, Warminster
  • and the county of Devon, England. It is 13 miles 21 km north - east of Exeter and lies on the River Culm. In 2011 the parish as a whole had a population
  • Devon County Football Association Limited. 15 September 2016. Devon Exeter Leagues Cup History Retrieved 11 March 2017. 2008 Final 2009 Final 2010
  • major urban centres include Plymouth, Swindon, Gloucester, Cheltenham, Exeter Bath, Torbay, and the South East Dorset conurbation which includes Bournemouth
  • Scotland during the Third English Civil War the building was used as a barracks with horses stabled in the chapel. The hospital opened in 1659, with thirty
  • Regiment V Exeter Home Defence 6th Btn, The Light Infantry V Bath, Home Defence 94th Locating Regiment, Royal Artillery, Roberts Barracks Target
  • season. For the winter the soldiers retired to castra hiberna containing barracks and other buildings of more solid materials, with timber construction gradually