ⓘ Carlton Barracks

                                     

ⓘ Carlton Barracks

The barracks were opened as a base for the 4th Battalion of the West Yorkshire Militia in 1865. In 1887 the barracks were bought, with corps funds, to accommodate the 3rd Battalion the Prince of Wales West Yorkshire Regiment The Rifles. In 1908, the 3rd battalion became the 7th and 8th battalions, these new battalions were also based at Carlton Barracks.

At the beginning of the First World War so many people said to Carlton barracks in response to the call to arms that the defense Ministry has decided to form two second line battalions 2 / 7 and 2 / 8th, the original battalions becoming 1 / 7 and 1 / 8th.

After the Second world war at the headquarters of the 45th Leeds rifles Royal tank regiment TA, was established in the barracks and was the headquarters of the 269 field regiment, Royal artillery. Former regiment became the 7th Leeds rifles battalion of the West Yorkshire regiment, based at Carlton barracks, and the last regiment became battery, now known as 269 West riding battery Royal artillery, which is still based in the barracks.

Other army reserve units based at the barracks now includes 49 West drive signal squadron and B squadron, 23 Special air service R. the barracks is also the home of the Yorkshire officer training regiment and the local office of the army Cadet force, as well as the HMS Ceres, Royal naval reserve, which is also home to the Yorkshire universities Royal Navy unit, and the Leeds detachment of the Royal Marines reserve Merseyside.