ⓘ Berwick Barracks

                                     

ⓘ Berwick Barracks

The barracks were built between 1717 and 1721 by Nicholas Hawksmoor for the Board of Ordnance to protect the town during the Jacobite risings. The work, which involved two parallel blocks of military accommodation, was supervised by Captain Thomas Phillips. An additional block was added between 1739 and 1741. After the Napoleonic Wars the barracks were abandoned but put back into use in the 1850s.

After the Childers reforms, the barracks became the depot of the Kings own Scottish Borderers who came from Fulford barracks in July 1881. The regiment moved out of the barracks in 1963 and they are now supported by English heritage.

                                     
  • responding to the border town of Berwick - upon - Tweed and its coastal location. The former military barracks known as Berwick Barracks that housed the studios
  • Early barracks were multi - story blocks, often grouped in a quadrangle around a courtyard or parade ground. A good example is Berwick Barracks which
  • and Britain s earliest barracks buildings, which Nicholas Hawksmoor built 1717 21 for the Board of Ordnance. The name Berwick is of Old English origin
  • Own Scottish Borderers and moved to Berwick Barracks in 1881. In the 1950s the barracks were renamed Imphal Barracks to reflect the battle honours won by
  • Wilt Thou Go to the Barracks Johnny? is a traditional Scottish highland dance. It was interpreted and reconstructed from Frederick Hill s Book of Quadrilles
  • The Fort du Telegraphe, or Fort Berwick is located in the Maurienne valley on the road to the Col du Galibier between Valloire and Saint - Michel - de - Maurienne
  • South Wales Borderers Berwick Barracks King s Own Borderers Hamilton Barracks The Cameronians Scotch Rifles St Lucia Barracks Omagh Royal Inniskilling
  • the Regimental Museum of The Kings Own Scottish Borderers, in Berwick Barracks Berwick upon Tweed, Northumberland, England. John Kendrick Skinner, Glasgow
  • for it to amalgamate with another regiment. The regiment moved to Berwick Barracks in July 1881. Under the reforms the regiment became The King s Own
  • non - selective co - educational independent day and boarding school near Berwick - upon - Tweed, Northumberland, England, for children between the ages of three
  • King s Own Scottish Borderers Regimental Museum, is based at Berwick Barracks in Berwick - upon - Tweed The Kings Own Yorkshire Light Infantry Museum is based