ⓘ The Barracks, Brecon

                                     

ⓘ The Barracks, Brecon

The original barracks, which were constructed of red brick, were built at the Watton in 1805 and then extended in 1813.

In 1873, the reform of Cardwell which suggested the localization of the British military forces in the barracks became the depot for the two battalions of the 24th, 2nd Warwickshire regiment of foot, which began to pick up throughout South Wales. In the mid 1870-ies, the troops from the barracks were sent to the colony of the Cape. In January 1879, the 24th regiment was famous for his role in two Grand battles of the Anglo-Zulu war – Isandlwana and Rorkes drift. In the same year save for the storage of arms and ammunition, was added to the barracks.

After the Childers reforms on 1 July 1881, the 24th, the regiment was renamed Borderers South Wales.

Museum Borderers South Wales, now the regimental Museum of the Royal Welsh, the barracks opened in 1935. The barracks was designated as a regional seat of government in the cold war.

The headquarters in Wales was established at the barracks in 1972. In 1991, the first minor districts were combined North-West district, a former West Midlands district after the West County and Wales to form the new Wales and Western district. Enlarged district was disbanded on the formation of the Command of Land headquarters in 1995.

The barracks present, the crew of the 160th Wales. In November 2016, the defense Ministry reported that the site will be closed in 2027.