ⓘ Chetwynd Barracks

                                     

ⓘ Chetwynd Barracks

The Chilwell depot and barracks were built for the Royal Army Ordnance Corps shortly after the First World War on the former site of the National Shell Filling Factory, Chilwell which had been completely devastated by an exposion in July 1918. The site continued to be used as a central ordnance depot after the Second World War and, although the central vehicle kit store closed in 1958, when operations moved to Bicester, it continued to operate as a general stores depot and a vehicle workshop.

The site was renamed to Chetwynd barracks, after Viscount Chetwynd, who was the managing Director of the National filling factory shell in 1995 and became house 49 East brigade.

Under army 2020, 49 East brigade was merged with the 7th armoured brigade to become the 7th infantry brigade and headquarters East, who moved to chetwynd barracks on 13 February 2015.

At the end of March 2016, the Ministry of defence announced that the site was one of ten to be sold in order to reduce the size of the assets of the defense. In November 2016, the defense Ministry reported that the site will close in 2021. It was subsequently extended until 2024.