ⓘ Glen Parva Barracks

                                     

ⓘ Glen Parva Barracks

The barracks opened under the name of Wigston Barracks in 1881. Their creation took place as part of the Cardwell Reforms which encouraged the localisation of British military forces. The barracks became the depot for the two battalions of the 17th Leicestershire Regiment of Foot as well as the 45th Nottinghamshire Regiment of Foot. Following the Childers Reforms, the barracks became the depot of the Royal Leicestershire Regiment in 1881.

Tens of thousands of conscripts and reservists trained for deployment during the First world war. Barack went on to become the regional centre for infantry training as the Forester brigade depot in 1960. They were closed in the late 1960-ies and most of the buildings were sold. Although Glen Parva institutions for young offenders now occupies most of the territory division of the Royal army pay corps remained there until 1997.

                                     
  • HM Prison Glen Parva was an adult male prison and Young Offenders Institution, located in Glen Parva Leicestershire, England. Glen Parva was operated
  • Glen Parva is a civil parish in the Blaby district of Leicestershire, England with a population of over 17, 000. The population of the civil parish including
  • Glen Parva Barracks in 1958 and decommissioned in 1963. The Sherwood Foresters Regimental Museum moved to Nottingham Castle in 1965 and the barracks were
  • the First World War. The barracks were demoted to the status of out - station to the Forester Brigade depot at Glen Parva Barracks in 1958, the last recruits
  • remained throughout World War II, also acting as chaplain of the nearby Glen Parva Barracks After the war he moved in 1946 to Coventry Cathedral where he spent
  • Sherwood Foresters. From 1960 the Forester Brigade was based at Glen Parva Barracks in Leicestershire. In 1963, the Royal Warwickshire Regiment was transferred
  • Yorkshire Regiment Victoria Barracks Beverley East Yorkshire Regiment Kempston Barracks Bedfordshire Regiment Glen Parva Barracks Leicestershire Regiment
  • Leicestershire Regiment of Foot and assigned to district no. 27 at Glen Parva Barracks in Leicestershire. On 1 July 1881 the Childers Reforms came into
  • affected by the Cardwell Reforms of the 1870s, which gave it a depot at Glen Parva Barracks from 1873, or by the Childers reforms of 1881 as it already possessed