ⓘ Claro Barracks

                                     

ⓘ Claro Barracks

The barracks, which were originally established as the command depot i.e. convalescent camp for Northern Command, opened in April 1915 during the First World War. Wilfred Owen wrote many of his poems when based at the barracks, known at the time as Ripon Army Camp, in spring 1918.

At the beginning of the Second world war, the school of military engineering, which was founded in Chatham, were divided into two training battalions, One of which was placed in the barracks. The barracks was renamed Harper barracks, after Lieutenant-General sir George Harper, a well-known engineer-General. The site was identified as home to the school of the squad, formed in 1941, reflecting the appointment of the Royal engineers, responsible for the discipline. Both schools of military engineering and the school of the squad returned to Chatham in 1949. In the 1950s, the years of Harpers barracks was the home of the Royal signals training regiment.

In 1959, the barracks became the home of 38 engineering regiment, which will remain there for almost half a century. They were redesigned and renamed the barracks Clara, after Clara Hill - a local beauty spot, in the 1960-ies. In 1974, as a result of a bomb explosion in a provisional Irish Republican army badly damaged barracks. The barracks became the home of 21 engineer regiment in 2008

                                     
  • is a regiment of the British Army s Royal Engineers. It is based at Claro Barracks Ripon, Catterick Garrison in Yorkshire. 21 Engineer Regiment was first
  • Archived from the original on 14 April 2014. Retrieved 20 April 2014. Claro barracks closure plan a hammer blow to Ripon BBC. 6 March 2013. Archived
  • and is located at Carver Barracks Essex. Its previous title was 15 Field Squadron Search and was located at Claro Barracks Ripon before it was disbanded
  • two training Battalions, one of which was located at Harper Barracks later Claro Barracks Ripon, North Yorkshire. This site was identified as a home
  • 1908 whilst he, as Inspector - General of Cavalry, was based at the army barracks - at that time located in Richmond Castle. On 12 August 1914, the order was
  • wapentakes in total, four of which were split into two divisions, those were - Claro Upper and Lower Skyrack Upper and Lower Strafforth and Tickhill Upper
  • Group, 1st Armoured Division 38th Engineer Regiment, Royal Engineers, Claro Barracks - 2x squadrons to Commander Engineers BAOR, to support the RAF Germany
  • explosives to bomb the British Army Claro Barracks in North Yorkshire causing large structural damage to the barracks 6 April - The IRA carried out a number
  • mines in Cuiaba and Goias. Leaving from Piracicaba, passing through Rio Claro the hills, fields and by typical vegetations of the Brazilian countryside