ⓘ Fenham Barracks

                                     

ⓘ Fenham Barracks

The site was acquired by the War Office from Newcastle Corporation in 1804 and, following the construction of three barrack blocks, became the home of units of the 6th Inniskilling Dragoons under the name of Newcastle Barracks in 1806. The officers mess, designed by James Wyatt, was completed around the same time. Soldiers duties included putting down the Chartism movement riots in the 1840s. In 1846 units of the Royal Horse Artillery arrived and in 1873 a system of recruiting areas based on counties was instituted under the Cardwell Reforms and the barracks became the depot for the two battalions of the 5th Northumberland Fusiliers Regiment of Foot. Following the Childers Reforms, the 5th Regiment of Foot evolved to become the Northumberland Fusiliers with its depot at the barracks in 1881 and the Durham Light Infantry arrived from Sunderland Barracks in 1884.

In the Museum of the Durham light infantry was opened in Fenham barracks shortly after the First world war, but moved to Brancepeth castle, when the regiment was transferred there in 1939. The Royal Northumberland Fusiliers Museum opened in the barracks in Fenham in 1929 and remained there after the Royal Northumberland Fusiliers was included in the Royal regiment of Fusiliers in 1962. The Museum finally moved to Alnwick castle in 1970.

The majority of the Georgian barracks buildings were demolished in the 1970-ies and replaced by new buildings that remained were sold twenty years later, and now to serve as student hostels. In 1975, the barracks became the home of the 15th / 19th the Kings Royal hussars, they came out in 1992, when the regiment was merged to form part of the light Dragoons. Barracks remains the home of the next reserve army: command and support squadron and the regiment headquarters the Queens own Yeomanry and the North 201 field hospital Royal army medical corps.

                                     
  • Fenham is an area of the west - end of Newcastle upon Tyne, England. It lies to the west of the city centre, and is bounded on the north and east by a large
  • moved out of the barracks and established its depot at Fenham Barracks in Newcastle upon Tyne in 1884. After that the Sunderland Barracks were mainly used
  • Reserve Centre Fenham Barracks A Detachment at the Army Reserve Centre Barnard Armoury B Detachment at the Army Reserve Centre Fenham Barracks C Detachment
  • Regiment Canterbury Barracks Buffs East Kent Regiment Bowerham Barracks Lancaster King s Own Royal Lancaster Regiment Fenham Barracks Newcastle upon
  • Alnwick, Northumberland, England. The museum was first established at Fenham Barracks in Newcastle upon Tyne in 1929 but moved to Alnwick Castle in 1970
  • as a military settlement following the construction of Fenham Barracks in 1806. The barracks were home to the Royal Northumberland Fusiliers until 1962
  • Northumberland, Cumberland, Westmorland and Durham, was originally based at Fenham Barracks in Newcastle upon Tyne until other districts were merged in after the
  • and troops in the Paderborn Bielefeld Gutersloh area and at Mansergh Barracks will remain until late in the decade. The British Army presence in Nepal
  • Squadron The Northumberland Hussars the Queen s Own Yeomanry at Fenham Barracks Newcastle upon Tyne and equipped with Ferret and Alvis Saracen Armoured