ⓘ Polish United Workers Party
The Polish United Workers Party was the Communist party which governed the Polish Peoples Republic as a one-party state from 1948 to 1989. Ideologically it was based on the theories of Marxism-Leninism. It also controlled the armed forces, the Polish Peoples Army.
1. Program and goals
Until 1989, the PUWP held dictatorial powers the amendment to the constitution of 1976 mentioned "a leading national force", and controlled an unwieldy bureaucracy, the military, the secret police, and the economy. Its main goal was to create a Communist society and help to propagate Communism all over the world. On paper, the party was organised on the basis of democratic centralism, which assumed a democratic appointment of authorities, making decisions, and managing its activity. Yet in fact, the key roles were played by the Central Committee, its Politburo and Secretariat, which were subject to the strict control of the authorities of the Soviet Union. These authorities decided about the policy and composition of the main organs; although, according to the statute, it was a responsibility of the members of the congress, which was held every five or six years. Between sessions, party conferences of the regional, county, district and work committees were taking place. The smallest organizational unit of the PUWP was the Fundamental Party Organization FPO, which functioned in work places, schools, cultural institutions, etc.
The main part in the PUWP was played by professional politicians, or the so-called "partys hard core", formed by people who were recommended to manage the main state institutions, social organizations, and trade unions. In the crowning time of the PUWPs development the end of the 1970s it consisted of over 3.5 million members. The Political Office of the Central Committee, Secretariat and regional committees appointed the key posts not only within the party, but also in all organizations having state’ in its name – from central offices to even small state and cooperative companies. It was called the nomenklatura system of the state and economy management. In certain areas of the economy, e.g., in agriculture, the nomenklatura system was controlled with an approval of the PUWP and by its allied parties, the United Peoples Party agriculture and food production, and the Democratic Party. After martial law began, the Patriotic Movement for National Rebirth was founded to organize these and other parties.
2.1. History Establishment and Sovietization period
The Polish United Workers Party was established at the unification congress of the Polish Workers Party PPR and Polish Socialist Party PPS during meetings held from 15 to 21 December 1948. The unification was possible because the PPS activists who opposed unification or rather absorption into the Workers Party had been forced out of the party. Similarly, the members of the PPR who were accused of "rightist – nationalistic deviation" were expelled. Thus, for all intents and purposes, the PUWP was the PPR under a new name.
"Rightist-nationalist deviation" Polish: odchylenie prawicowo-nacjonalistyczne was a political propaganda term used by the Polish Stalinists against prominent activists, such as Wladyslaw Gomulka and Marian Spychalski who opposed Soviet involvement in the Polish interior affairs, as well as internationalism displayed by the creation of the Cominform and the subsequent merger that created the PZPR. It is believed that it was Joseph Stalin who put pressure on Boleslaw Bierut and Jakub Berman to remove Gomulka and Spychalski as well as their followers from power in 1948. It is estimated that over 25% of socialists were removed from power or expelled from political life.
Boleslaw Bierut, an NKVD agent and a hard Stalinist, served as first Secretary General of the ruling PUWP from 1948 to 1956, playing a leading role in the Sovietization of Poland and the installation of one of its most repressive regimes. He had served as President since 1944 though on a provisional basis until 1947. After a new constitution abolished the presidency, Bierut took over as Prime Minister, a post he held until 1954. He remained party leader until his death in 1956.
Bierut oversaw the trials of many Polish wartime military leaders, such as General Stanislaw Tatar and Brig. General Emil August Fieldorf, as well as 40 members of the Wolnosc i Niezawislosc Freedom and Independence organisation, various Church officials and many other opponents of the new regime including Witold Pilecki, condemned to death during secret trials. Bierut signed many of those death sentences.
Bieruts mysterious death in Moscow in 1956 shortly after attending the 20th Congress of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union gave rise to much speculation about poisoning or a suicide, and symbolically marked the end of Stalinism era in Poland.
2.2. History Gomulkas autarchic communism
In 1956, shortly after the 20th Congress of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union, the PUWP leadership split in two factions, dubbed Natolinians and Pulawians. The Natolin faction - named after the place where its meetings took place, in a government villa in Natolin - were against the post-Stalinist liberalization programs Gomulka thaw and they proclaimed simple nationalist and antisemitic slogans as part of a strategy to gain power. The most well known members included Franciszek Jozwiak, Wiktor Klosiewicz, Zenon Nowak, Aleksander Zawadzki, Wladyslaw Dworakowski, Hilary Chelchowski.
The Pulawian faction - the name comes from the Pulawska Street in Warsaw, on which many of the members lived - sought great liberalization of socialism in Poland. After the events of Poznan June, they successfully backed the candidature of Wladyslaw Gomulka for First Secretary of party, thus imposing a major setback upon Natolinians. Among the most prominent members were Roman Zambrowski and Leon Kasman. Both factions disappeared towards the end of the 1950s.
Initially very popular for his reforms and seeking a "Polish way to socialism", and beginning an era known as Gomulkas thaw, he came under Soviet pressure. In the 1960s he supported persecution of the Roman Catholic Church and intellectuals notably Leszek Kolakowski who was forced into exile. He participated in the Warsaw Pact intervention in Czechoslovakia in 1968. At that time he was also responsible for persecuting students as well as toughening censorship of the media. In 1968 he incited an anti-Zionist propaganda campaign, as a result of Soviet bloc opposition to the Six-Day War.
In December 1970, a bloody clash with shipyard workers in which several dozen workers were fatally shot forced his resignation officially for health reasons; he had in fact suffered a stroke. A dynamic younger man, Edward Gierek, took over the Party leadership and tensions eased.
2.3. History Giereks economic opening
In the late 1960s, Edward Gierek had created a personal power base and become the recognized leader of the young technocrat faction of the party. When rioting over economic conditions broke out in late 1970, Gierek replaced Gomulka as party first secretary. Gierek promised economic reform and instituted a program to modernize industry and increase the availability of consumer goods, doing so mostly through foreign loans. His good relations with Western politicians, especially Frances Valery Giscard dEstaing and West Germanys Helmut Schmidt, were a catalyst for his receiving western aid and loans.
The standard of living improved in Poland of the 1970s, the economy however, began to falter during the 1973 oil crisis, and by 1976 price hikes became necessary. New riots broke out in June 1976, and although they were forcibly suppressed, the planned price increases were suspended. High foreign debts, food shortages, and an outmoded industrial base compelled a new round of economic reforms in 1980. Once again, price increases set off protests across the country, especially in the Gdansk and Szczecin shipyards. Gierek was forced to grant legal status to Solidarity and to concede the right to strike. Gdansk Agreement.
Shortly thereafter, in early September 1980, Gierek was replaced as by Stanislaw Kania as General Secretary of the party by the Central Committee, amidst much social and economic unrest. Kania admitted that the party had made many economic mistakes, and advocated working with Catholic and trade unionist opposition groups. He met with Solidarity leader Lech Walesa, and other critics of the party. Though Kania agreed with his predecessors that the Communist Party must maintain control of Poland, he never assured the Soviets that Poland would not pursue actions independent of the Soviet Union. On October 18, 1981, the Central Committee of the Party withdrew confidence on him, and Kania was replaced by Prime Minister and Minister of Defence Gen. Wojciech Jaruzelski.
2.4. History Jaruzelskis autocratic rule
On 11 February 1981, Jaruzelski was elected Prime Minister of Poland and became the first secretary of the Polish United Workers Party on October 18, 1981. Before initiating the plan of suppressing Solidarity, he presented it to Soviet Premier Nikolai Tikhonov. On 13 December 1981, Jaruzelski imposed martial law in Poland.
In 1982 Jaruzelski revitalized the Front of National Unity, the organization the Communists used to manage their satellite parties, as the Patriotic Movement for National Rebirth.
In 1985, Jaruzelski resigned as prime minister and defence minister and became chairman of the Polish Council of State, a post equivalent to that of president or a dictator, with his power centered on and firmly entrenched in his coterie of "LWP" generals and lower ranks officers of the Polish Peoples Army.
2.5. History Breakdown of autocracy
The attempt to impose a naked military dictatorship, notwithstanding, the policies of Mikhail Gorbachev stimulated political reform in Poland. By the close of the tenth plenary session in December 1988, the Polish United Workers Party was forced, after strikes, to approach leaders of Solidarity for talks.
From 6 February to 15 April 1989, negotiations were held between 13 working groups during 94 sessions of the roundtable talks.
These negotiations resulted in an agreement which stated that a great degree of political power would be given to a newly created bicameral legislature. It also created a new post of president to act as head of state and chief executive. Solidarity was also declared a legal organization. During the following Polish elections the Communists won 65 percent of the seats in the Sejm, though the seats won were guaranteed and the Communists were unable to gain a majority, while 99 out of the 100 seats in the Senate freely contested were won by Solidarity-backed candidates. Jaruzelski won the presidential ballot by one vote.
Jaruzelski was unsuccessful in convincing Walesa to include Solidarity in a "grand coalition" with the Communists, and resigned his position of general secretary of the Polish United Workers Party. The PUWP two allied parties broke their long-standing alliance, forcing Jaruzelski to appoint Solidaritys Tadeusz Mazowiecki as the countrys first non-communist prime minister since 1948. Jaruzelski resigned as Polands President in 1990, being succeeded by Walesa in December.
2.6. History Dissolution of the PUWP
Starting from January 1990, the collapse of the PUWP became inevitable. All over the country, public occupations of the party buildings started in order to prevent stealing the partys possessions and destroying or taking the archives. On 29 January 1990, XI Congress was held, which was supposed to recreate the party. Finally, the PUWP dissolved, and some of its members decided to establish two new social-democratic parties. They got over $1 million from the Communist Party of the Soviet Union known as the Moscow loan.
The former activists of the PUWP established the Social Democracy of the Republic of Poland in Polish: Socjaldemokracja Rzeczpospolitej Polskiej, SdRP, of which the main organizers were Leszek Miller and Mieczyslaw Rakowski. The SdRP was supposed among other things to take over all rights and duties of the PUWP, and help to divide out the property of the former PUWP. Up to the end of the 1980s, it had considerable incomes mainly from managed properties and from the RSW company Press- Book-Traffic’, which in turn had special tax concessions. During this period, the income from membership fees constituted only 30% of the PUWPs revenues. After the dissolution of the PUWP and the establishment of the SdRP, the rest of the activists formed the Social Democratic Union of the Republic of Poland USdRP, which changed its name to the Polish Social Democratic Union, and The 8th July Movement.
At the end of 1990, there was an intense debate in the Sejm on the takeover of the wealth that belonged to the former PUWP. Over 3000 buildings and premises were included in the wealth and almost half of it was used without legal basis. Supporters of the acquisition argued that the wealth was built on the basis of plunder and the Treasury grant collected by the whole society. Opponents of SdRP claimed that the wealth was created from membership fees; therefore, they demanded wealth inheritance for SdPR which at that time administered the wealth. Personal property and the accounts of the former PUWP were not subject to control of a parliamentary committee.
On 9 November 1990, the Sejm passed "The resolution about the acquisition of the wealth that belonged to the former PUWP". This resolution was supposed to result in a final takeover of the PUWP real estate by the Treasury. As a result, only a part of the real estate was taken over mainly for a local government by 1992, whereas a legal dispute over the other party carried on till 2000. Personal property and finances of the former PUWP practically disappeared. According to the declaration of SdRP Members of Parliament, 90-95% of the partys wealth was allocated for gratuity or was donated for a social assistance.
The highest statutory authority of the Voivodeship party organization was the voivodeship conference, and in the period between conferences - the PUWP voivodeship committee. To drive current party work, the provincial committee chose the executive. Voivodeship conferences convened a provincial committee in consultation with the Central Committee of PUWP - formally at least once in year. Plenary meetings of the Voivodeship committee were to be convened at least every two months and executive meetings - once a week.
In practice, the frequency of holding provincial conferences and plenary meetings KW deviated from the statutory standards were held less often. Dates and basic Topics of session of Voivodeship party conferences and plenary sessions of Voivodeship Committee PUWP in the provinces of Poland were generally correlated with dates and topics of plenary sessions Central Committee of the PUWP. They were devoted mainly to "transferring" resolutions and decisions of the Central Committee to the provincial party organization. The provincial committee had no freedom in shaping the original, its own meeting plan. The initiative could be demonstrated - in accordance with the principle of democratic centralism - only in the implementation of resolutions and orders of instances supreme.
The dependence of the Voivodeship party organization and its authorities was also determined by that its activity was financed almost entirely from a subsidy received from the Central Committee of PUWP. Membership fees constituted no more than 10% of revenues. The activities of the Voivodeship Committee between PUWP Voivodeship conferences were formally controlled by the Audit Committee elected during these conferences. Initially only examined the implementation of the budget and accounting of PUWP Voivodeship Committee. In the following years, the scope of its activities was expanded, including for control over the management of party membership cards, security OF confidential documents, how to deal with complaints and complaints addressed to the party. The number of inspections carried out grew systematically, and the work of committees accepted more planned and formalized character.
The Central Committee had its seat in the Partys House, a building erected by obligatory subscription from 1948 to 1952 and colloquially called White House or the House of Sheep. Since 1991 the Bank-Financial Center "New World" is located in this building. From 1991-2000 the Warsaw Stock Exchange also had its seat there.