ⓘ The Blinding of Samson

                                     

ⓘ The Blinding of Samson

The Blinding of Samson is a 1636 painting by Rembrandt, now in the Stadel. The painting is the first of its kind in pictorial tradition. No other artist at the time had painted this specific narrative moment.

This painting was a gift to the House of Orange, Rembrandts current patron of a few commissioned paintings, via its secretary Constantijn Huygens, as an excuse for the delay of the commissioned Passion paintings. Later it was acquired by Friedrich Karl von Schonborn and remained in the Palais Schonborn-Batthyany in Vienna until it was acquired by the Stadel in 1905.