ⓘ The Black Friary
Its believed that the first patron of the friary was Geoffrey de Geneville and that it was founded in 1263, just outside the town walls of Trim. Geoffrey de Geneville retired to the friary and was buried there in 1314. The friary was an important part of the town of Trim as it held extensive lands and ecclesiastical and governmental meetings were held there from the 13th to the 15th century.
By 1540, as part of the dissolution of the monasteries, the commissioners of king Henry VIII suppressed the monastery and sold their land, buildings, and products. During the 18th century the building was still for sale and is produced stone. The territory continued to be used as a cillin cemetery in the 18th century.