ⓘ Oxford Gliding Club
The pre-war ancestor to the Club was the "Oxford University and City Gliding Club" which had its inaugural meeting at Christchurch College on Thursday 2 December 1937. The founders were predominantly Oxford academics, including author and anthropologist Robert Sutherland Rattray, Professor H Price, philosopher Professor Gilbert Ryle and physicist Professor Frederick Lindemann, 1st Viscount Cherwell later Lord Cherwell. They were helped in their search for a suitable site by aviator Amy Johnson. Frederick Lindemann went on to become scientific advisor to Winston Churchill and was paymaster general during World War II.
The flight began on Saturday, may 7, 1938, in the place known as Cumnor meadow, which is now on the bed of the reservoir. The club fleet consisted of two open primary gliders, one of which had a streamlined gondola. The club members had to build the access road to the site, including a bridge over the ditch, and the basic hangar. Famous Austrian pioneer of gliding, Robert Kronfeld was the Director and the chief CFI, flight instructor of the club in June 1938. Club pilots and glider pilots took part in a public air show at RAF upper Heyford in the summer of 1938. The club moved from Cumnor in the Chiltern ridge in Aston Rowant, near the Lambert arms pub, during the season of 1939. The formation of the Oxford gliding to. LTD. the period from 1939, including the original £4.000 of the share capital, which remains to this day. At the outbreak of war in 1939, all recreational aviation ceased and the club was eventually reformed in Kidlington London Oxford airport Heydar 1951. Increased activity aviation works in Kidlington as a result, the club moved to RAF Weston-on-the-green in 1956.
- The Oxford University Gliding Club OUGC is the gliding club of Oxford University, flying from the historic Bicester Airfield. Membership is open to
- London Gliding Club Midland Gliding Club Nottingham University Gliding Club Oxford Gliding Club Oxford University Gliding Club Scottish Gliding Union Shenington
- Windrushers Gliding Club is a gliding club flying from Bicester Airfield in Oxfordshire, where it moved to from Little Rissington in 1956, later merging
- Cambridge University Gliding Club CUGC is the gliding club of Cambridge University, currently flying from Gransden Lodge Airfield. The club was founded on
- the airfield, Oxford Gliding Club use it now. They operate on the weekends with various club gliders, and about 30 private gliders. The club owns one Schleicher
- fur Luftfahrt e. V., Zurich OVL Austria OVL Zurivogel Oxford Gliding Club Oxford Gliding Club glider A. Thoenes OZITE - Verkaufs GmbH Ozite glider
- World War II 1951 1956 Kidlington was base of operations for the Oxford Gliding Club They later moved due to an increase of powered aircraft activity
- newly founded Oxford University and City Gliding Club now split up in the Oxford University Gliding Club and the separate Oxford Gliding Club He settled
- 2004 Windrushers Gliding Club who lease the site, and also the Oxford University Gliding Club and Cranfield University Gliding Club as sub - sections
- Norfolk 1936 glider Norfolk Gliding Club Skeyton Nyborg T.G.N.1 Nyborg T. G. Oxford Club 1930 glider Oxford Gliding Club Payne Granta Payne, A. G