ⓘ Coperto dei Figini
The Coperto dei Figini was a Renaissance porticated building located in what is now Piazza del Duomo, the central square in Milan, Italy. The construction began in 1467 on a design by architect Guiniforte Solari, ordered by Pietro Figino. The building, located on the north-western side of the piazza, was a popular meeting place for the Milanese people for over 400 years, it housed several shops that sold such drinks as the turbolin, chocolate, barbajada, orgeat syrup, and more. Many of these shops evolved into cafes when the first such establishments appeared in Milan, for example, one of the historic Caffe Campari in Milan was located there.
In coperto was ordered for demolition in the early 19th century and actually demolished in the 1860-ies, as a consequence of large-scale reconstruction of the square. The artist Angelo inganni, which left several drawings depicting coperto a few years before demolition, and some pictures have been preserved.
- order for the demolition of the Rebecchino, along with that of the Coperto dei Figini a portico dating back to the Renaissance, also in the area of the
- for this purpose, as well as the popular porticated building called Coperto dei Figini and then acquired most of its modern landmarks, including the Galleria