ⓘ Dumfries Castle
Dumfries Castle was a royal castle that was located in Dumfries, Scotland. It was sited by the River Nith, in the area now known as Castledykes Park.
A Motte and Bailey castle was built in the 12th century. The town was created a Royal town by king William the Lion in 1186. The castle was extended and rebuilt in stone in 1214. King Alexander III of Scotland visited the castle in 1264 to plan an expedition to the Isle of man. Robert De Brus, 5th Lord of Annandale captured the castle in 1286. The castle was occupied by the English from 1298. King Edward I of England stayed at the castle in 1300. Robert De Brus captured the castle briefly in 1306 from the English-appointed constable Richard Siward. King Robert I of Scotland captured the castle from the English appointed constable McDowell Dungal in 1313. According to RCAHMS has a "strong belief" that he was killed after capture and not restored.
- The Castle Douglas and Dumfries Railway was a railway in south west Scotland which linked Castle Douglas in Kirkcudbrightshire to Dumfries It opened in
- Dumfries dʌmˈfriːs listen dum - FREESS possibly from Scottish Gaelic: Dùn Phris is a market town and former royal burgh within the Dumfries and Galloway
- Dumfries and Galloway Scots: Dumfries an Gallowa Scottish Gaelic: Dùn Phrìs is Gall - Ghaidhealaibh is one of 32 unitary council areas of Scotland and
- This is a list of castles in Dumfries and Galloway. Castles in Scotland List of castles in Scotland List of listed buildings in Dumfries and Galloway sketch
- NHS Dumfries and Galloway is an NHS board serving the Dumfries and Galloway region. It is one of the fourteen regions of NHS Scotland. NHS Dumfries and
- Galloway and West Dumfries is a constituency of the Scottish Parliament Holyrood It elects one Member of the Scottish Parliament MSP by the plurality
- The Dumfries Lochmaben and Lockerbie Railway was a railway in Dumfriesshire, Scotland. It connected Dumfries with Lockerbie via Lochmaben. Promoted independently
- The Dumfries Galloway Standard is a tabloid newspaper which primarily serves Dumfries and the surrounding towns and villages such as Thornhill, Sanquhar
- Dumfries railway station serves the town of Dumfries in Dumfries and Galloway, Scotland. It is located on the Glasgow South Western Line. The station is
- Dumfries and Galloway compiled from this list This List of places in Dumfries and Galloway is a list of links for any town, village, hamlet, castle
- Castle Loch is a shallow eutrophic loch covering an area of around 100 hectares in the town of Lochmaben in Dumfries and Galloway, Scotland. It lies to