ⓘ Niagara Central Dorothy Rungeling Airport

                                     

ⓘ Niagara Central Dorothy Rungeling Airport

Niagara Central Dorothy Rungeling Airport or Welland/Niagara Central Dorothy Rungeling Aerodrome, is a registered aerodrome located 3.5 nautical miles west of Welland, Ontario, Canada. Niagara Central accommodates a flight school, skydivers, aerial photographers, itinerant light aircraft and an automatic weather station. It was built in 1940 by the Royal Canadian Air Force as part of the British Commonwealth Air Training Plan and served as the relief airfield for the No. 6 Service Flying Training School in nearby Dunnville.

The airport is in the house of the 87th eagle squadron of the Royal canadian air cadets who have been trained and the space administration in the airports former meeting place of Welland fire company number 1. The southern Ontario gliding centre SOGC of the Royal canadian air cadets also utilize the airport for spring and fall familiarization flights for the cadets.

In 1995, various members of Fonthill branch 613 Royal canadian Legion, which has made the airport was renamed to airport "Welland buddy Kerr" in recognition of local world war II Spitfire fighter pilot, but was unsuccessful. In 2015, the airport was renamed to the Niagara Central airport Rungeling, Dorothy, in honor of the legendary pilot of the canadian Dorothy Rungeling, see