ⓘ Alamosa–Durango line

                                     

ⓘ Alamosa–Durango line

The Alamosa–Durango line or San Juan extension was a railroad line built by the Denver and Rio Grande Western Railroad, following the border between the U.S. states of Colorado and New Mexico, in the Rocky Mountains. The line was originally built as a 3 ft narrow-gauge line between Alamosa, Colorado, and Durango, Colorado. Portions of the route survive to this day: the now standard-gauged segment from Alamosa to Antonito, Colorado, and a narrow-gauge portion from Antonito to Chama, New Mexico.

                                     
  • Veta Tropic Junction to Tropic Creede Branch: Alamosa to Creede Alamosa Durango line Alamosa to Durango Santa Fe Branch: Antonito to Santa Fe La Madera
  • Western Railroad D RGW route from Durango Colorado via Chama, New Mexico Cumbres Pass and Antonito, Colorado to Alamosa Colorado. The train ran from February
  • The line was an extension of the D RG 3 ft 914 mm narrow - gauge line from Antonito, Colorado, to Durango The last train to operate into Durango from
  • Durango is the county seat and the most populous municipality of La Plata County, Colorado, United States. It is home to Fort Lewis College. The United
  • Denver and Rio Grande Western Railroad tracks on three lines radiating from Alamosa Colorado. The SLRG operates an eclectic variety of equipment from the
  • Springs. Service has since been expanded to connect Grand Junction, Durango Gunnison, Alamosa Pueblo, and Lamar among others. It is Colorado s first state - run
  • railroad line was built in the early 1880s by the Denver Rio Grande Railroad as part of their San Juan Extension line from Alamosa Colorado to Durango Colorado
  • Monte Vista, an overlap begins with US 285, which continues southeast into Alamosa It turns east, then goes northeast to go through North La Veta Pass, then
  • industry into the 1960s. Portions of the Alamosa Durango line survive to this day. The Walsenburg Alamosa Antonito line survives as the standard - gauge San Luis
  • Grande Western in the reorganization of 1924. It began its D RG service at Alamosa Colorado, was leased to the Rio Grande Southern for 1926 - 27 and then spent