ⓘ History of Lacock

                                     

ⓘ History of Lacock

Lacock was first mentioned in the Domesday book in 1086 with a population of less than 200, with two small mills and a vineyard. The villages main attraction Lacock Abbey was founded on the manorial lands by Ela, Countess of Salisbury and established in 1232, in the reign of King Henry III. Lacock was granted a market and developed a thriving wool industry during the Middle Ages. Reybridge, and a pack horse ford, remained the only crossing points of the River Avon until the 17th century.