ⓘ Old Church of St Nidan, Llanidan
The Old Church of St Nidan, Llanidan is a medieval church in the community of Llanidan, in Anglesey, North Wales, close to the Menai Strait. The first church on the site was established in the 7th century by St Nidan, the confessor of the monastery at Penmon, Anglesey, but the oldest parts of the present structure, are now closed and partly ruined, date from the 14th century. In about 1500 the church was enlarged by the addition of a second nave on the north side, separated from the earlier nave by an arcade of six arches. During 1839 till 1843 a new church was built nearby to serve the local community, partly due to the cost of repairing the old church. Much of the building was subsequently demolished, leaving only part of the western end and the central arcade. The decision was condemned at the time by Harry Longueville Jones, a clergyman and antiquarian, who lamented the "melancholy fate" of what he called "one of the largest and most important in the island of Anglesey". Other appreciative comments have been made about the church both before and after its partial demolition.
Then opened a new Church, the old Church was used as a chapel for the funeral during the time period. It was restored by the owners of the neighboring house, Plas Llanidan, and is sometimes open to the public. The rest of the Church is grade II* listed building, a national definition, which gave a "particularly important buildings of more than special interest", in particular because of St Nidans is considered to be a "good example of a simple medieval rural Church, enriched by 15th-century additions".
In the 12th century, Gerald of Wales said that the Church possessed a curious stone carving, similar to the hip that will come back the next day, regardless of how far it was taken. Norman Earl, he recalled, was chained to a big stone and threw it into the sea, only for the stone to return to Church the next morning. A Sandstone chest containing bone fragments, possibly relics of the Saint were found buried under the altar. The chest and of the Church of the 13th century font was moved to the new Church.
- saint of two churches in Anglesey: St Nidan s Church Llanidan built in the 19th century, and its medieval predecessor, the Old Church of St Nidan Llanidan
- St Nidan s Church Llanidan is a 19th - century parish church near the village of Brynsiencyn, in Anglesey, north Wales. Built between 1839 and 1843, it
- St Nidan s Church may refer to: St Nidan s Church Llanidan built in the mid - 19th century Old Church of St Nidan Llanidan its medieval predecessor
- was of the same design as that in the Old Church of St Nidan Llanidan He also noted that the font was anomalously placed near the entrance of the chancel
- 6 July of that year. Welch also designed the church of St Nidan Llanidan in the south of Anglesey, which was built between 1839 and 1843. St Ffinan s
- was the church dedicated to St Mary that was sacked by Normans in 1157. St Mary s was formerly one of the chapels of ease to St Nidan s, Llanidan along
- being the old church of St Nidan Llanidan and St Cwyfan s, Llangwyfan Cadw the Welsh Government body responsible for the built heritage of Wales notes