ⓘ BMW 1 Series (F20)
The second generation of the BMW 1 Series consists of the BMW F20 and BMW F21 compact cars. The F20/F21 generation was produced from 2011 to 2019 and is often collectively referred to as the F20.
For the second generation of 1 Series, the coupe and convertible models were spun off to create the new BMW 2 Series nameplate.
The F20/F21 was initially powered by four-cylinder petrol, four-cylinder diesel and six-cylinder petrol engines. In 2015, three-cylinder petrol and diesel engines were added to the model range. All engines are turbocharged.
Unlike most hatchback competitors, the F20/F21 uses a longitudinally mounted engine and rear-wheel drive instead of front-wheel drive for most models. The F20/F21 is the first 1 Series to offer an optional all-wheel drive called "xDrive" by BMW. The F20 has seen use in the British Touring Car Championship, winning the Constructors Championship and Teams’ Championship.
In China and Mexico, the BMW 1 Series F52 4-door sedan was also sold alongside the F20/F21 in the 1 Series range. However, the F52 is largely unrelated to the F20/F21 range, as it uses the BMW UKL platform, which is front-wheel drive and shared with the MINI, BMW 2 Series Active Tourer and X1.
In July 2019, the BMW 1 Series F40 began production as the successor to the F20.
Available equipment includes satellite navigation with an 8.8 inch screen, iDrive, LED headlights and digital radio.
The interior and exterior trim is either Sport Line, Urban Line or M-Sport Line. These trim packages differ by alloy wheels, kidney grille and other appearance-related features.
In November 2015, the optional Automatic parking called "Parking Assistant", where the car steers itself to parallel park was upgraded.
2.1. Body styles 5-door hatchback F20
The F20 five-door hatchback was the first of the F20/F21 body styles to be released. It was unveiled in 2011 at the Frankfurt Motor Show and then the Auto Guangzhou motor show.
Early models included the 116i, 118i, 116d, 118d, 120d. In 2012, the 125i, 125d and 116d EfficientDynamics Edition models were introduced. In July 2012, 114i and M135i were introduced, followed by 120d xDrive and M135i xDrive. After the introduction of LCI models in 2015, in the same year, M135i was replaced with M140i, which adds a few HPs, also was available in Shadow Line Package which as standard gives Shadow/black side window trim, high-gloss black kidney grilles, new designed black wheels and slightly tinted front and rear lights.
2.2. Body styles 3-door hatchback F21
The vehicle was unveiled in Auto Mobil International Leipzig 2012.
Early models included 114i, 116i, 125i, M135i,114d, 116d, 116d EfficientDynamics Edition, 118d, 125d; followed by 118i, M135i xDrive, 120d, 120d xDrive in November 2012. From 2016, M135i was replaced with M140i,with same engine and options as F20.
The high performance six-cylinder M135i model was unveiled in the 3-door body style at the 2012 Geneva International Motor Show. The production version was available in both 3-door and 5-door body styles.
3. Model year changes
In March 2015, the facelift LCI models began production for the 2016 model year. The facelift was unveiled at the 85th Geneva International Motor Show 2015, followed by Auto Shanghai 2015.
- revised bumpers, tail-lights and LED directional headlights "Adaptive Headlights"
- 116d engine changed from 4-cylinder N47 to 3-cylinder BMW B37
- 116i engine changed from 4-cylinder N13 to 3-cylinder BMW B38
- M135i power increase of 5 kW 7 hp
- 118i engine changed from 4-cylinder N13 engine to 3-cylinder BMW B38
- M135i model is replaced by the M140i, powered by the B58 engine
- LCI2 was introduced in July 2017 which included a dashboard design, a new instrument cluster and iDrive 6 with touchscreen.
4. Water injection prototype
At the 2015 BMW Group Innovation Days at Miramas proving grounds in southern France, BMW unveiled a prototype model using a water injection engine.
The 3-cylinder B38 petrol engine uses a similar approach as the 6-cylinder engine fitted to the production F82 M4 GTS, by spraying a water mist into the intake manifold plenum chamber. The compression ratio is increased from 9.5:1 to 11.0:1, power and torque increased by 10 percent and the engine is compatible with low-octane RON 95 fuel. Some of the water required for the system is automatically collected from the condensation from the air-conditioning system.
To date, no production version has been announced.
The F20/F21 is produced in Leipzig, Germany; Regensburg, Germany; Araquari, Brazil; Shenyang, China F52 sedan, by BMW Brilliance; and Chennai, India
Complete knock-down CKD assembly of the F20/F21 is conducted in Kulim, Malaysia by Inokom and Rayong, Thailand.
In 2011, the F20/F21 1 Series won the Bild am Sonntag magazine Golden Steering Wheel award.
In 2015, the M135i was the Sport Auto magazine winner of best compact car up to €50.000.
In 2017, the M140 was the What Car? magazine winner of best hot hatch over £25.000.
- drive The 1 Series accounted for nearly one - fifth of the total BMW sales in 2008. The F20 F 21 is the second generation of the 1 Series which was released
- F 22 and convertibles F 23 related to the BMW 1 Series F20 The BMW 2 Series Active Tourer is a compact MPV, built on the front - wheel - drive BMW UKL
- the F 22. The F 22 was released as the successor to the E82 1 Series coupe and E88 1 Series convertible, and is produced alongside the F20 1 Series hatchback
- Schizophrenia ICD - 10 code BMW 1 Series F20 A Honda F engine F A - XX, an American development and acquisition program for a sixth - generation jet fighter Form 20 - F
- front - wheel drive The 1 Series accounted for nearly one - fifth of the total BMW sales in 2008. Following the introduction of the F20 F 21 1 Series in 2011, the E81 E87
- The BMW 1 Series F 40 is the third generation of the BMW 1 Series range of subcompact executive hatchback cars. Unlike the F20 1 Series the F 40 1 Series
- generation of the BMW 6 Series consists of the BMW F 12 two - door convertible version BMW F 13 two - door coupe version and BMW F 06 four - door Gran
- sixth generation of the BMW 5 Series consists of the BMW F 10 sedan version BMW F 11 wagon version, marketed as Touring and BMW F 07 fastback version
- sixth generation of the BMW 3 Series consists of the BMW F 30 sedan version BMW F 31 wagon version, marketed as Touring and BMW F 34 fastback version
- The first generation of the BMW 4 Series consists of the BMW F 32 coupe version BMW F 33 convertible version and BMW F 36 four - door coupe version
- The BMW 3 Series is a compact executive car manufactured by the German automaker BMW since May 1975. It is the successor to the 02 Series and has been