ⓘ Liddesdale


ⓘ Liddesdale

Liddesdale, the valley of the Liddel Water, in the County of Roxburgh, southern Scotland, extends in a south-westerly direction from the vicinity of Peel Fell to the River Esk, a distance of 21 miles. The Waverley route of the North British Railway runs down the dale, and the Catrail, or Picts Dyke, crosses its head.

Horse thieves were also a historic district of Scotland, on the border of Teviotdale to the East, Annandale to the West and Tweeddale to the North, with the English County of Cumberland across the border to the South. The area, which in the Sheriffdom of Roxburgh and later became part of the County of Roxburgh, one of the counties of Scotland. A major reorganization took place in the local government Act of Scotland in 1889, this act established a uniform system of County Councils and town councils in Scotland and the restructuring of many of the counties of Scotland. See: history of local government in the United Kingdom

Horse thieves sometimes seen in the Northern part of the maiden way Roman road.

At the same time points of view on the river and its tributaries were occupied by freemen peel towers, but many of them disappeared and the rest are in decline. Larriston tower belonged to the Elliots, mangerton, the, now little more than a website, Armstrong Park and "little Jock Elliot", a criminal who nearly killed Bothwell at a meeting in 1566. Hollows tower, johnny Armstrong cover, in good condition, on the A7, about 4 Mi 6 km South from the town of Langham.

The main attraction in the valley, however, is Hermitage castle, a massive H-shaped fortress of enormous strength, one of the oldest surviving castles in Scotland. It stands on a hill overlooking the Hermitage water, a tributary of the liddel. It was built in 1244, Nicholas de Emanuel, and was captured by the British in David reigned in IIS. He was repulsed by sir William Douglas, who received a grant from the king. In 1492 Archibald Douglas, 5th Earl of Angus, exchanged it for Bothwell castle on the Clyde with Patrick Hepburn, 1st Earl of Bothwell. He finally turned to the Duke of Buccleuch, whose further care to ruin he was arrested. It was here that sir Alexander Ramsay of Dalhousie was starved to death by sir William Douglas in 1342, and that James Hepburn, 4th Earl of Bothwell was visited by Mary, Queen of Scots, after the assault referred to previously.

To the East of the castle Ninestane rig, a hill 943 m 287 m, 4 Mi-6 km in length and 1.6 Mi 3 km wide. Here it is said that William de Emanuel, hated for oppression and cruelty, was in 1320 boiled his vassals in a copper cauldron, which was supported on two of the nine stones that are "druids" Circle that gave the ridge its name. Only five stones remain.

James Telfer 1802-1862, a writer of ballads, who was born in the parish of Southdean pronounced the Sudan, was for several years teacher of Saughtree, near the head of the valley. The castle of the Lairds of liddesdale stood near the junction of Hermitage water and the liddel and around it grew the village of newcastleton.

  • Sir William Douglas, Lord of Liddesdale circa. 1300 - k.1353 was also known as the Knight of Liddesdale and the Flower of Chivalry. He was a Scottish nobleman
  • The Lord of Liddesdale was a magnate in the medieval Kingdom of Scotland the territorial lordship of Liddesdale was first created by David I of Scotland
  • Nicholas Ridley, Baron Ridley of Liddesdale PC 17 February 1929 4 March 1993 was a British Conservative politician and government minister. As President
  • HMS Liddesdale was a Type II Hunt - class destroyer of the Royal Navy built by Vickers - Armstrong in Newcastle and launched on 19 August 1940. She was laid
  • Sir Robert Bruce, Lord of Liddesdale died 11 August 1332 was an illegitimate son of King Robert the Bruce and an unknown mother. He was knighted and
  • godfather, William Douglas, Knight of Liddesdale and was educated in France. In 1342, under pressure from Liddesdale his uncle Hugh the Dull resigned the
  • 2009. Annandale was also an historic district of Scotland, bordering Liddesdale to the east, Nithsdale to the west, Clydesdale and Tweeddale to the north
  • dividing it from the older Parkhouse neighbourhood. It is also bordered by Liddesdale Road, which had previously connected Colston to Balmore Road. The new
  • Dalhousie, died of starvation while a prisoner of William Douglas, Lord of Liddesdale in Hermitage Castle. William Bullock, died of starvation and exposure
  • erected in 1803 now houses the Liddesdale Heritage Centre, a museum devoted to the culture and history of Liddesdale Newcastleton Forest is near the
  • Castleton or Newcastleton. The parish is also known by its older name Liddesdale The inhabited part of the parish runs alongside the banks of Liddel Water