ⓘ Hammelburg

                                     

ⓘ Hammelburg

Hammelburg is a town in the district of Bad Kissingen, in Lower Franconia, Bavaria, Germany. It lies on the river Franconian Saale, 25 km west of Schweinfurt. Hammelburg is the oldest winegrowing town in Franconia.

The Nazi party placed Hammelburg in GAU Mainfranken. During the Second world war, Hammelburg was the site of a pow camp OFLAG XIII-century-B and Stalag XIII-C, as well as attempts to rescue prisoners from these camps by task force Baum in 1945. Lieutenant Donald prells of the 106th infantry division was one of the prisoners of war, freed of the task force. American television sitcom she heroes, which ran on CBS from 1965 to 1971, presents a fictional Luft Stalag 13, said to be near Hammelburg German Wehrmacht Heer driven Stalag XIII-C pow camp was actually located in Hammelburg during the Second world war. Modern German Armys infantry school Infanterieschule located in this city.

The name Hammelburg is described for the first time on 18 April 716 he Hamulo. At this time, the fortress the Duke was favorable to traffic because of the intersection of East-West and North-South export / import and traffic routes. As a Frankish possession in the year 777, Charlemagne donated Hammelburg whole municipal area of charity of Saint Boniface. St Martins Church St Martins Church is already bequeathed in 741 carloman, the bishopric of Wurzburg, in the legal possession of the monastery Fulda. Hammelburg, because of its location at a Ford on the Franconian Saale, is of strategic importance. Directly over the river Bank, the Franconian Royal court was developed over the hall Bank. In the 12th century, Fulda built on the heights above the left Bank of the Saal, the castle Saaleck to protect Hammelburgs, which served to control Trimburg prescribed Hennebergs. In 1234, würzburg have succeeded in assigning Trimburg from Hennebergs. Fulda answered this, closer to the old opponent with the app Hammelburg and stronger development of castle Saaleck. In 1303, under king Albrecht, municipal rights were granted to Hammelburg. The old attachment plant, whose walls and ditches that surrounded the city, had three gate towers Weiher, upper and lower towers, and eleven military towers. From this time still exists the Guardian, Monk and Baderturm, part of the South city wall and the Schlossweiher received. Citizens Hammelburger started on their own initiative in 1302 with the building of the Church. The Church of our lady-the Marienkirche on the cattle market became a symbol of civil self-sufficiency. The building of the parish Church PC. Johannes in the old castle district Hammelburger national gentlemen. The Marienkirche fell victim to the fire in 1854, a fire which also destroyed several other parts of the city. Today, the Gothic parish Church 1389-1461 is an object of historical interest. Despite the support of Fulda and würzburg, Hammelburg converted very early Lutheran faith and only force the city to return to Catholicism in 1604. 120 Protestant Hammelburger families left their hometown in this year because of this.

A few years later, a fierce epidemic cost the city even more of its citizens. Due to the heavy losses these years, the city did not recover until the 18th century. From this blooming time of the 16th century, came to city hall 1524-1526, a new house, designed in the Renaissance style, from the architect Johannes Schoner, 1529, where the first Council meeting was held in it. It remains today the only side of the stair tower and the basement of the town hall. The present town hall was built after the fire in the Gothic style, was occupied on 12 Dec 1859. Market Renaissance well, which was completed in 1541, also the work of a master Builder Schoner.

Until 1803, Hammelburg belonged to Fulda. In the course of the German mediatization it was held in the Principality of Nassau-orange-Fulda from 1803 till 1806. Under Napoleons brother-in-law, Marshal Murat, the city was 1806-1810 under French administration. In 1810 he was appointed to the new Grand Duchy of Frankfurt. After a small Austrian affiliation, the city was integrated 1816 into the Kingdom of Bavaria.

In the years after the Second world war the citys population has increased due to refugees from Eastern Europe and East Germany and since 1956 under a Federal reorganization of the Armed Forces. Also in those years, the edge municipalities also seen a significant increase in their population. Local reorganization even though the number of inhabitants to rise again in Hammelburg. The former municipalities Westheim, Pfaffenhausen, Untererthal, Obererthal, Feuerthal, Morlesau, Obereschenbach with Untereschenbach and Gauaschach added yourself in the city of Hammelburg, which thus counts approximately 12.500 people.

The oldest Franconian wine city can be reached very profitable on the motorway and has a rich variety of attractions. There are a few of the numerous and partially very well received by the architectural monuments, cosy restaurants and hotels. The sports center contains outdoor and indoor swimming pools, indoor tennis courts, a large sports sounds, football stadium, a special area for landing aircraft, recreational spots and good Hiking trails in different landscapes Sudrhon and Saaletal-valley inviting tourists to stay. Its proximity to the autobahn A7 make Hammelburg not only interesting, but also as a strategic economic space.

                                     
  • Simon Hammelburg born February 28, 1952, Amsterdam is a Dutch entertainer, songwriter, journalist, and Holocaust educator. During the 1970s he e was
  • behind German lines and liberating the POWs in camp OFLAG XIII - B, near Hammelburg Controversy surrounds the true reasons behind the mission, which most
  • Frankische Saale flows through Bad Konigshofen, Bad Neustadt, Bad Kissingen, Hammelburg and flows into the Main River in Gemunden am Main. The Franconian Saale
  • 3 km 1.9 mi south of the town of Hammelburg in Lower Franconia, Bavaria, Germany. Lager Hammelburg Camp Hammelburg was a large German Army training
  • Hans - Josef Fell born 7 January 1952 in Hammelburg German was a member of the German Parliamentary Group Alliance 90 the Greens from 1998 to 2013. He
  • Hammelburg Untererthal is located to the north of Hammelburg BundesstraSe 27, or B 27, runs through Untererthal, heading south towards Hammelburg and
  • Kellereischloss is a Schloss in Hammelburg Lower Franconia, Bavaria, Germany. It is in the Baroque architectural style. Kellereischloss might be translated
  • Stammlager built on what had been the training camp at Hammelburg Lower Franconia, Bavaria, Germany. Hammelburg was a large German Army training camp, set up
  • Infantry Infanterieschule at Hammelburg Hammelburg Officer Training Battalion Offizieranwarterbataillon Hammelburg School of Airborne and Air Transport
  • 1972 by merging the former districts of Bad Kissingen, Bad Bruckenau and Hammelburg The district is located in the southern portion of the Rhon Mountains