ⓘ Borba (newspaper)

                                     

ⓘ Borba (newspaper)

Borba was a Serbian newspaper, formerly the official gazette of the Yugoslav Communist Party. Its name is the Serbian word for struggle or combat.

                                     

1. History

The very first issue of Borba was first published in Zagreb on 19 February 1922 as the official gazette of the Yugoslav Communist Party KPJ, a banned political organization since December 1920 that nevertheless operated clandestinely in the Kingdom of Serbs, Croats and Slovenes and later Kingdom of Yugoslavia. Functioning as the banned Yugoslav Communist Partys propaganda piece, the paper played in important part in disseminating information among the party members, activists, and sympathizers.

On 13 January 1929, a week following the proclamation of King Alexanders 6 January Dictatorship, Borba got banned.

During World War II Borba was published in the Republic of Uzice. After the World War II liberation by the Partisans, its publication moved to Belgrade.

From 1948 to 1987, the newspaper was also published simultaneously in Zagreb. For a long time, Borba alternated pages in Serbian Cyrillic alphabet and Gajs Latin alphabet in the same edition.

In 2002, more than a year following the overthrow of Slobodan Milosevic, Borba along with its distribution network were purchased by Serbian businessman Stanko "Cane" Subotic who bought the government shares in the paper. However, under Subotic, the daily Borba barely survived, printing no more than several hundred copies a day while according to business records, the companys monthly revenues never exceeded €30.000.

                                     

1.1. History 2009 redesign and cease of publication

Redesigned Borba got announced in December 2008 with Ivan Radovanovic presented as the papers new owner after reportedly buying it from fugitive Serbian businessman Stanko "Cane" Subotic. Before the first issue of the redesigned paper appeared, Serbian deputy prime minister Mladan Dinkic accused Subotic of still being Borba s true owner with Radovanovic only serving as the front man.

Though announced for December, the first redesigned issue ended up appearing on newsstands on 15 January 2009 under editor-in-chief Milos Jevtovic who came over from the state-owned Tanjug news agency. It was published by "Izdavacko preduzece Novine Borba" using the Latin alphabet. Content-wise, the papers new format was conceived as something new on the Serbian print media market with no news wire items and press releases with only analysis of the current events as well as ongoing political and social trends. Initial editor-in-chief Jevtovic was soon replaced with Olivera Zekic. However, the paper sold poorly less than 3.000 copies per day, ceasing publication in October 2009 after less than a year.