ⓘ Brandon, Vermont

                                     

ⓘ Brandon, Vermont

On October 20, 1761, the town of Neshobe was chartered to Capt. Josiah Powers. In October 1784, the name of the town was changed to Brandon by an act of legislature.

Brandon studies in early American architecture and Vermont history. When the first settlers came to the area in the mid 1770s, they created the village next. The area was rich in natural resources with excellent farmland along the river and abundant reserves of timber and minerals. The city prospered during the 1800-ies with several industries relying on the key resources of waterpower, iron ore and marble. The arrival of the railroad in 1849 enabled the manufacture and shipping of iron-based products such as the Howe scale, as well as Brandon paints, wood products and marble.

During its century of rapid growth, Brandon village evolved a unique village plan. The historic crown point military road came through Brandon to connect lake Champlain on the Atlantic coast. In subsequent decades, the government and individuals developed commercial streets in the centre, which radiated from the greens lined with residences leading to farms, mines and quarries in the city. Pearl and Park streets were laid out to be suitable for militia training, resulting in a wide, landscaped streets with deep front yards.

Statesman Stephen A. Douglas was born in Brandon and his birthplace is now the Brandon Museum as well as the city tourist center. Douglas returned in 1860 to inform a crowd that Brandon was a good place to be born and leave.

Thomas Davenport, proclaimed some invented electric motor, was born and lived in Brandon.

At the beginning of the industry began to decline, the production of dairy products, livestock and tourism are becoming increasingly important and ensures the economic survival of Brandon in the 20th century. The establishment of a training School Brandon in 1915 was a significant event, providing many employment opportunities for area residents. At its height, the school served over 600 Vermont residents. Changes in policy and practice social services led to the closure of the company in November 1993. The campus, now called the Park, is used for various purposes, including residential, industrial and institutional purposes.

Brandons historic downtown with its entire basis of the 243 buildings listed on the National register of historic places.

                                     
  • Brandon is an unincorporated village and census - designated place CDP in the town of Brandon Rutland County, Vermont United States. The population of
  • The Brandon State School, also known historically as the Brandon Training School and the Vermont State School for Feeble Minded Children, was a psychiatric
  • Minnesota Brandon Mississippi Brandon Nebraska Brandon New York Brandon Ohio Brandon South Dakota Brandon Texas Brandon Vermont Brandon Wisconsin
  • District is a one member state Representative district in the U.S. state of Vermont It is one of the 108 one or two member districts into which the state
  • a practice in Brandon A Republican, Brown served in local offices including Town Agent and Town Grand Juror. He served in the Vermont House of Representatives
  • South Dakota Brandon Village Historic District Brandon Vermont listed on the NRHP in Vermont Brandon Village Hall and Library, Brandon Wisconsin
  • Vermont Route 73 is an east west state highway in central Vermont United States. It extends from VT 74 in Shoreham in the west to VT 100 in Rochester
  • Woodstock, Vermont Billings Farm and Museum. Orange County Historical Societies Vermont Historical Society. Retrieved 14 January 2015. Brandon Museum
  • resident of Brandon He worked as a clerk for the Central Vermont Railway. In 1880 he began a banking career as a teller at the Brandon National Bank
  • The Vermont Ski and Snowboard Museum was established in Brandon Vermont United States, in 1988 as The Vermont Ski Museum, but was moved to Stowe in