ⓘ Single umbilical artery

                                     

ⓘ Single umbilical artery

Occasionally, there is only the one single umbilical artery present in the umbilical cord. This is sometimes also called a two-vessel umbilical cord, or two-vessel cord. Approximately, this affects between 1 in 100 and 1 in 500 pregnancies, making it the most common umbilical abnormality. Its cause is not known.

Most cords have one vein and two arteries. Vienna carries oxygenated blood from the placenta to the baby and the arteries carry blood from baby to placenta. About 1% of pregnancies there are only two vessels - usually a single vein and single artery. Approximately 75% of these cases the child is perfectly normal and healthy. One artery can support a pregnancy, and do not necessarily indicate problems. For the remaining 25%, 2-vessel cord is a sign that the baby has other abnormalities - sometimes life threatening and sometimes not.

Doctors and midwives often suggest parents take the precaution of having regular growth checks in the short term, to eliminate the influence of fetal intrauterine growth, which can happen on occasion, and require intervention. However, the majority of growth restricted infants with disorders also have other defects. Finally, newborns with withdrawal can also have a higher occurrence of renal problems, so a careful study of the child may be warranted shortly after birth. Among SUA infants, there is a slightly increased risk of postpartum urinary tract infection.

                                     
  • abdominal and pelvic regions. In the fetus, it extends into the umbilical cord. The umbilical arteries supply deoxygenated blood from the fetus to the placenta
  • to the fetus. The umbilical vein is responsible for delivering oxygen rich blood to the fetus from the mother the umbilical arteries are responsible for
  • the umbilical cord is physiologically and genetically part of the fetus and in humans normally contains two arteries the umbilical arteries and one
  • tissues, lungs, etc. Most arteries carry oxygenated blood the two exceptions are the pulmonary and the umbilical arteries which carry deoxygenated blood
  • SCCP User Adaptation, a member of the SIGTRAN family of protocols Single umbilical artery Sokoine University of Agriculture, Tanzania Special use airspace
  • percent of patients with VACTERL association have a single umbilical artery there are usually two arteries and one vein which is often associated with additional
  • great arteries d - Transposition of the great arteries dextro - TGA, or d - TGA is a birth defect in the large arteries of the heart. The primary arteries the
  • of the vitelline arteries and umbilical arteries The vitelline arteries form the celiac, superior and inferior mesenteric arteries of the gastrointestinal
  • primum atrial septal defect lung disease from chronic infection, single umbilical artery absence of the hemidiaphragm, hypoplasia of the femora, ossification
  • Otto Kampmeier discovered the association between sirenomelia and single umbilical artery Only a few individuals who had some functioning kidney tissue