ⓘ Saint-Gabriel-de-Brandon, Quebec

                                     

ⓘ Saint-Gabriel-de-Brandon, Quebec

The first settlers, mostly Irish and Scottish Loyalists, came around 1825 to the shores of Lake Maskinonge, where they formed a community that was known as Lake Maskinonge Settlement by 1827, and later as the Mission of Lac-Maskinonge. In 1837, the name Saint-Gabriel-du-Lac-Maskinonge came in use but was changed to Saint-Gabriel-de-Brandon in 1840. This name refers to the angel Gabriel and the geographic township of Brandon that was proclaimed in 1827 and in which it is located.

In 1851, the parish of Saint-Gabriel-de-Brandon was founded and the post office opened the same year. In 1855, the parish municipality was established with the same name.

In 1892, the main settlement on lake Maskinonge separated from the parish municipality and became the municipality of Saint-Gabriel-de-Brandon is now known as Saint-Gabriel.

14 June 2014, Saint-Gabriel-de-Brandon has changed from a ward of municipal education in another municipality.