ⓘ Kiamitia County

                                     

ⓘ Kiamitia County

Kiamitia County, also known as Kiamichi County, was a political subdivision of the Choctaw Nation, Indian Territory. The county formed part of the nations Pushmataha District, or Third District, one of three administrative super-regions.

Kiamitia County was formed in 1850, the General Council of the Choctaw. He was one of the 19 districts created. District received its name from the Kiamichi river. Historians debate the origin and correct spelling of the word, but most came to the conclusion that it comes from the French word kamichi, meaning "horned-screamer," a kind of water birds. They say it was named by French explorers for 1700 years.

Kiamitia County was Goodland. The original Choctaw village of Goodland was four miles North of present-day Hugo, Oklahoma. Post office of the United States acted in Goodland, Indian territory on August 21, 1871, until February 28, 1902. Community focused at the County seat no longer exists. Modern Goodland is located three miles South of Hugo. Post office under the name "Goodland, Oklahoma", located in the building of the Goodland Indian orphanage, worked there from April 5, 1915 to July 31, 1944.