ⓘ Great Hucklow
Great Hucklow is a small village and civil parish in the Derbyshire Peak District which nestles under Hucklow Edge between the villages of Tideswell and Bradwell. It has a population of about 100, including Foolow, Grindlow plus Little Hucklow and being measured at 427 in the 2011 Census. The area is now mainly agricultural, but the village was formerly a centre of the Derbyshire lead mining industry. The lead vein or rake outcrops to the surface to the west of the village and dives under the rocks of Hucklow Edge on the western side of the village where an adit, known as Milldam Mine, has recently been reopened by Glebe Mines Ltd that connects the various deep mines that had formerly been dug along the edge. This mine is being worked for fluorspar, which is frequently found associated with lead in the vein.
In the village, there is a thriving primary school, which is located up a short lane School lane in the ribs, and a pub in Queen Anne.
It was a theatre for 40 years, which was launched by L. du garde Peach and the actors and the staff was local. The first production of "the merchant of Venice" Shakespeare in 1927 staged in the Hucklow home. The first group plays in the new play House was in 1938, with four one act plays written by peach. The new Playhouse was converted to bring the building of the Mountain known locally as the dome of lead melting furnace. The first 200 second place was worth 1 shilling and 9 pence each. The stage was 28 feet 8.5 width 30 ft 9.1 m depth m. For many years, the theatre has brought many visitors to great Hucklow from all parts of the North of England. The theater building is still used as a center activity.
Unitarian old chapel was founded in 1696 and is still in use, it also has a small conference hall which is well used by the community. Methodist chapel, built in the early 19th century, was converted into offices in 1999.
The Nightingale centre, which belongs to the Unitarians, is in the centre of the village and offers groups for school and public meetings in the field, conferences, and provides country holidays for children from the cities. The centre brings many visitors to the village from all over the world.
Recently, a very great Hucklow dispose of the site Silance my heritage, jointly with S. Foolow. Four hectares of bushland, forests and pastures on the southern slope at Hucklow edge, which was in the same place are working in silence and old Grove mine and the new working surface of the mineral heap of fluorspar. The site is located within the boundaries of the parish of Grindlow between the West and Foolow to the East. It lies on the border between the White and dark peak character areas. The long mining history has led to the development of very complex surface soil derived from schists lying in close Association with soils developing from limestone and mineral material on the surface during mining operations. Both silence and old grove mines have been carefully reworked for fluorspar on the surface, but at the upper end of silence of the mine there is a previously unrecognized remains of a locomotive of buildings and structures. These include the back walls of a horizontal engine house and boiler room, possibly the base of the chimney, as well as small sunken chamber, which was originally half of a wheel pit which contained a large flywheel and / or winding drum associated with the engine compartment. Hillocks remain in the Northern part of the old mine Grove. Currently the Peak district mines historical society conduct excavations of the remains of Silance mine.
The village is twinned with Parisot, tarn-et-Garonne, located in a rural area of similar size in the South-West of France.
The land rises steeply to the North of the village to Hucklow edge and at Camphill on the plateau above it theres a rather popular direction of the slide, operating in Derbyshire and Lancashire gliding club, who in July of 1954 took place the world championship gliding. 9 Aug 2011 UKS longest paragliding began in the village, ending over 250 km in Suffolk.
The village can be accessed from the B6049 about a mile to the North from where it crosses the A623 at the anchor INN. The road to the village is to the East of the triangle of the wind turbine.
The village is host to the annual residency of martial arts, this tradition goes back almost 30 years.
- the Parish Council is joint with Great Hucklow and Grindlow. The parish consists of the village of Little Hucklow and the hamlets of Coplow Dale and
- Dales District, the Parish Council is joint with Great Hucklow its near neighbour, and Little Hucklow The village lies north of the A623 road as it crosses
- department in the Occitanie region in southern France. It is twinned with Great Hucklow - a rural village of similar size in the Derbyshire Peak District, England
- compete in the 1954 World Gliding Championships, held at Camphill Farm, Great Hucklow UK. It was a conventional mid - wing design of workmanlike construction
- Foolow, Froggatt Great Hucklow Great Longstone, Grindleford Hassop, Hathersage, Hognaston, Hartington Kirk Ireton, Kniveton Little Hucklow Litton Matlock
- parish of Tideswell, on 17 January 1628, the son of William Bagshaw of Hucklow He received his early education at country schools, and met puritan ministers
- District. The population of the village is included in the civil parish of Great Hucklow The village green contains an ornate medieval cross, similar to the
- designed to compete in the 1954 World Gliding Championships held in Great Hucklow United Kingdom and was also flown in the World Championships held in
- particular kinds of amateur groups. In 1927, he founded an amateur group at Great Hucklow close to his home in the Peak District of Derbyshire, which achieved
- co - founder members included Bradford Civic Playhouse, Crescent Theatre, Great Hucklow Players, Highbury Theatre formerly Highbury Little Theatre Leicester
- Canguro came second at the World Gliding Championships at Camphill Great Hucklow Derbyshire, England. One was modified into a powered aircraft, at first