Auld Bourtreebush is a prehistoric stone circle in Aberdeenshire, Scotland. This megalithic construction is situated near the Causey Mounth ancient trackway, which connects the Scottish lowlands to the highlands. This scheduled ancient monuments.
The Barony of Cowie is a geographical and political division of land in Aberdeenshire, Scotland deriving from the Middle Ages. King Robert the Bruce conferred these lands of the Barony of Cowie, along with the Barony of Cluny and the Barony of Kinnaird upon Alexander Fraser of Touchfraser and Cowie, who was his Chamberlain at least as late as 1319 AD. The major transport route across the Barony of Cowie in the Middle Ages was an ancient trackway known as the Elsick Mounth,
The castle occupies an important and commanding position along the northern approach to Aboyne. Built by the Durwards in the 13th century and was the main stronghold of the barony of O’Neill. The last mention of the intact castle was in a charter dated 17th February 1554 from the Queen Regent, Mary I, which grants "the lands of Cowle with their castle and mill, in the sheriffdom of Aberdeen." The castle was ruined by the first half of the 17th Century according to the collections of Sir James Balfour. The ruins of the castle was dug by the landowner, Dr. Marshall Mackenzie after his land a ...
Easter Aquhorthies stone circle, located near Inverurie in north-east Scotland, is one of the best-preserved examples of a recumbent stone circle, and one of the few that still have their full complement of stones. It stands on a gentle hill slope about 1 mi west of Inverurie, and consists of a ring of nine stones, eight of which are grey granite and one red jasper. Two more grey granite stones flank a recumbent of red granite flecked with crystals and lines of quartz. The circle is particularly notable for its builders use of polychromy in the stones, with the reddish ones situated on the ...
Kinord Castle, also known as Loch Kinord Castle, was a 14th-century castle on Castle Island in Loch Kinord to the south of Old Kinord, Aberdeenshire, Scotland.
The remains of the Castle of Lonmay are found near Netherton of Lonmay, to the north of Loch Strathbeg in Buchan, Scotland. The remains are not located in the modern village of Lonmay which is approximately 6km to the south west. It was described by W. Douglas Simpson as one of the nine castles of the Knuckle, referring to the rocky headland of north-east Aberdeenshire. Since the 13th century, it was home to the Fraser family. Castle "can be Mott". He has long ceased to be in existence and there are very few, all of which are buried beneath constantly shifting sand dunes that over time swe ...
The castle occupies an important and commanding position along the old north road leading from Aboyne to Strathdon. First mentioned in a charter in 1268 by Uilleam, Earl of Mar, the castle was the seat of the Lord of Cromar and caput of the barony of Cromar. Migvie was later held by the Rutherfords of Tarland in the 1440s and from 1452 it passed to Alexander Gordon, Earl of Huntly. Slight traces castles curtain wall are visible above ground.
Ravenscraig Castle, also known as the Craig of Inverugie, is a ruined 15th-century L-shaped tower-house north-west of Peterhead, Aberdeenshire, Scotland. It is a scheduled ancient monument. The castle was the seat of the Barony Torthorston, belongs to the family of the Cheynes, and passed to the Keiths in the mid-14th century. The license for the construction of a new castle in 1491 may, with strongholds built on the banks of Ugie and defended ditch. King James VI of Scotland visited the castle in 1589.
ⓘ History of Aberdeenshire
- Aberdeenshire or the County of Aberdeen Scots: Coontie o Aiberdeen, Scottish Gaelic: Siorrachd Obar Dheathain is a historic county and registration county
- small town in the Buchan area of the Scottish county of Aberdeenshire Population 780 2006 estimate Located 13 miles west of Peterhead on the South Ugie
- West or Western Aberdeenshire was a Scottish county constituency of the House of Commons of the Parliament of the United Kingdom from 1868 to 1918 and
- East or Eastern Aberdeenshire was a Scottish county constituency of the House of Commons of the Parliament of the United Kingdom from 1868 to 1918 and
- until 1950. In 1868, the constituency of Aberdeenshire was divided into Aberdeenshire Eastern and Aberdeenshire Western divisions. These continued as
- Aberdeenshire Scots: Aiberdeenshire Scottish Gaelic: Siorrachd Obar Dheathain is one of the 32 council areas of Scotland. It takes its name from the
- Aberdeenshire CC is the second largest cricket club based in Aberdeen, Scotland. Their ground, Mannofield Park, is located in the Mannofield area of Aberdeen
- Aberdeenshire was a Scottish county constituency of the House of Commons of the Parliament of Great Britain from 1708 to 1800 and of the House of Commons
- The West Aberdeenshire by - election of 1876 was fought on 10 May 1876. The byelection was fought due to the resignation of the incumbent Liberal MP, William