ⓘ Easter Aquhorthies stone circle

                                     

ⓘ Easter Aquhorthies stone circle

Easter Aquhorthies stone circle, located near Inverurie in north-east Scotland, is one of the best-preserved examples of a recumbent stone circle, and one of the few that still have their full complement of stones. It stands on a gentle hill slope about 1 mi west of Inverurie, and consists of a ring of nine stones, eight of which are grey granite and one red jasper. Two more grey granite stones flank a recumbent of red granite flecked with crystals and lines of quartz. The circle is particularly notable for its builders use of polychromy in the stones, with the reddish ones situated on the SSW side and the grey ones opposite. The discovery of a possible cist covered by a capstone at the centre of the circle indicates that there may once have been a cairn there, but only a conspicuous bump now remains.

Rings with stones are not completely round and has a slightly "squashed" aspect, size 18.4 m 60 feet along the NW–SE axis 18.1 m 59 ft. As with other recumbent stone circles in the region, opposed pairs of stones were erected on both sides, increasing in height from one low stone on the nne side with high rocks, the flank, the opposite side of the night. Strikers is about 2.5 m 8.2 feet, while recumbent-3.8 m 12 feet in length 1.4 m 4.6 ft. It is aligned so that its top lines level with the southern setting of the moon in the direction of the nearby hill of fare. The other two large stones supporting the recumbent at right angles, projecting into the circle.

The toponym Aquhorthies comes from a Scottish Gaelic word meaning "field of prayer", and can mean "a long succession of Holiness" between the stone or bronze age builders around and a lot of them later Gaelic successors millennia later. Circles surroundings were landscaped in the late 19th century, and it sits in a small walled and the wall of the housing. The stone dyke, is known as the Rondel was built in a circle some time between 1847 and 1866-7. The circle was later brought to the General public in the 1870s and 1880s series of paintings, drawings, and descriptions, although some of them were far-fetched, such as the Christian reconstruction Maclagans circle as kind of a Broch. In 1884, he attracted the attention of archaeologist Augustus pitt-rivers, and five years later his assistants William Tomkin and Claude gray visited the site to measure, document and photograph it in order to build a scale model, which is now part of the collection of Salisbury Museum in Wiltshire.

In 1900 Coles found the range "in excellent state of preservation", are protected from damage by livestock and no shrubs growing around. He conducted a very thorough inspection. The circle was heavily overgrown in the first quarter of the 20th century, the right Reverend George brown recorded that when he visited in 1920, he was "filled with a forest full of bushes as high as our heads." It was scheduled as an ancient monument, the Ministry of works in 1925, and was taken under the care of the state in 1963. The stones were purified in 1985, so that the casts can be taken of them at the exhibition in Edinburgh, revealing previously unnoticed nuances in their coloring. Further studies also showed that the ring was to celebrate the acoustic properties, although it is unclear whether this was the case before the demolition of the Central core and the construction of the medallion, which can be reused in Cairns stones.