ⓘ Mays Island
Mays Island is a small island on the Cedar River, in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. Functioning as a civic center much like the Ile de la Cite, it is the site of the Memorial Building, the Linn County Courthouse, and the county jail. The island plus an adjacent block was listed as a historic district on the National Register of Historic Places in 1978.
The island and all its buildings were destroyed in the 2008 flood on the cedar river, from the water rises above the first floor.
Before the 2008 flood, the concentration of local and County government on the island served to unite the city on both sides. The memorial building was designed by hunter & Hutton, architects cedar rapids. In the Beaux arts Lynn County courthouse was designed by Joseph Royer, of Urbana, as it was in the prison. Mass building is long and narrow, like the island itself. Buildings face each other, creating an "island quality".
The concentration of public services extends to the Eastern shore, where the Federal government is located to the East of the memorial building in the Beaux arts-style Federal building, the design of which was attributed to the control of a supervising architect under James A. Wetmore. His unit, from 1st Avenue North to 2nd Avenue, from 1st street West to the river, also included in the historic district. This makes a total of four troops of the buildings in the district.
- The island is owned and managed by Scottish Natural Heritage as a national nature reserve. There are now no permanent residents, but the island was the
- An island in a river or a lake island may be called an eyot or ait, and a small island off the coast may be called a holm. Sedimentary islands in the
- divisions: Island UK, Island US, Island Australia, and Island France known as Vertigo France until 2014 Current key people include Island US president
- Cape May is a peninsula and island divided by a narrow channel the southern tip of the island is the southernmost point of the U.S. state of New Jersey
- of May Island is the name given to the series of accidents that occurred during Operation E.C.1 in 1918. Named after the Isle of May a nearby island in
- Governors Island is a 172 - acre 70 ha island in New York Harbor, within the New York City borough of Manhattan. It is located approximately 800 yards
- 14 22 W 7.933 S 14.367 W - 7.933 - 14.367 Ascension Island is an isolated volcanic island 7 56 south of the Equator in the South Atlantic Ocean
- Navassa Island nəˈvæsə French: l ile de la Navasse also La Navasse, La Navase is a small uninhabited island in the Caribbean Sea. Located northeast
- The Territory of Christmas Island is an Australian external territory comprising the island of the same name. Christmas Island is located in the Indian
- Howe Island Norfolk Island together with the two neighbouring islands Phillip Island and Nepean Island form the Territory of Norfolk Island one of
- Ellis Island is a federally owned island in New York Harbor that contains a museum and former immigration inspection station. As the United States busiest