ⓘ Copthorne Barracks

                                     

ⓘ Copthorne Barracks

The barracks were built between 1877 and 1881 and initially included a hospital, married quarters, stabling and stores. Their creation took place as part of the Cardwell Reforms which encouraged the localisation of British military forces. The barracks became the depot for the 43rd Monmouthshire Regiment of Foot and the 53rd Shropshire Regiment of Foot. Following the Childers Reforms, the 53rd Shropshire Regiment of Foot amalgamated with the 85th Regiment of Foot Bucks Volunteers to form the Kings Shropshire Light Infantry with its depot in the barracks in 1881.

Barack went on to become the regional centre for infantry training as light infantry brigade depot in 1960.

In 1972 in the West Midlands area was created with headquarters at copthorne barracks. In the early 1980-ies of the Western district of Edinburgh became the "Western district". In 1991, the first minor districts were combined North-West district, a former West Midlands district after the West County and Wales to form the new Wales and Western district. Enlarged district was disbanded on the formation of the Command of Land headquarters in 1995.

Kings Shropshire light infantry Museum was first established in copthorne barracks, but moved to Shrewsbury castle in 1985.

The copthorne barracks and headquarters of the 5th infantry division for the period from 1995, the division was disbanded in 2012.

It was also the administrative headquarters of the British armys regional 143 West Midlands brigade to the 11th signal brigade and 143 brigade West Midlands merged to form the 11th signal brigade and headquarters West Midlands in November 2014. After the merger, the officers moved in Venning barracks in Donnington, Telford 11 teams base signal.

The barracks also stays at home two reserve army divisions, e-company, 8th battalion, rifles and 202 Midlands field hospital drill, whose halls within its perimeter.

In November 2014, the Ministry of defence has announced part of the barracks stand for the departure of the 143 excess of the crew requirements and officially put it up for sale. The exception is 0.193 ha of land used by army reserve Center, which will remain the property of the Ministry.

In July 2016 the organization of the defense infrastructure, applied for planning permission Shropshire Council to demolish 40 buildings in the barracks while the retaining wall border, sale.

The site was sold in may 2018 website builders Bellway homes, which in December 2018 has received approval from the Council of Shropshire to build 216 homes, and permission to start demolition work to clear the space. Purchased buildings will be completely demolished only the part of the 19th century, which will be retained for conversion to apartments. The development will be called Copthorn to keep.

                                     
  • east side of the suburb, Copthorne Road leads from Frankwell Island, to the west up Copthorne Bank, along past Copthorne Barracks former headquarters of
  • May 1905 and 31 May 1912, during which period the club moved from Copthorne barracks ground to the Gay Meadow site. He was also manager during the then - record
  • silver bugle - horn. From 1960 the Light Infantry Brigade was based at Copthorne Barracks in Shropshire. On 1 July 1968 the Light Infantry Brigade was united
  • the original on 3 May 2014. Retrieved 20 April 2014. Urgent talks over Copthorne HQ Shrewsbury Chronicle. Archived from the original on 21 April 2014
  • Regiment Pontefract Barracks King s Own Light Infantry South Yorkshire Regiment York and Lancaster Regiment Copthorne Barracks Shrewsbury The King s
  • 1972 the West Midlands District was established with headquarters at Copthorne Barracks and placed under the command of HQ UK Land Forces. In the early 1980s
  • become the home of the Shropshire Regimental Museum when it moved from Copthorne Barracks in 1985. The museum was attacked by the IRA on 25 August 1992 and
  • Monmouthshire Regiment of Foot, and assigned to district no. 21 at Copthorne Barracks in Shrewsbury. On 1 July 1881 the Childers Reforms came into effect
  • redesignated as the 3rd Battalion of the new regiment. The KSLI was based at Copthorne Barracks in Shrewsbury. Its regimental museum has been located in Shrewsbury
  • Division 101st London Engineer Regiment V London Western District Copthorne Barracks Shrewsbury 143rd West Midlands Infantry Brigade, Shrewsbury, home
  • Shropshire Regiment of Foot, and assigned to district no. 21 at Copthorne Barracks in Shrewsbury. On 1 July 1881 the Childers Reforms came into effect